98 JGC Limited Tras in out of gear HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 JGC Limited Tras in out of gear HELP!

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
stepjl
1998 ZJ 

98 JGC Limited Tras in out of gear HELP!

My son's 1998 Jeep GC Limited 5.2L (197,000 miles) started slipping, and engine reving on it's own when stopped and brake applied. Slips after trying to take off then while slipping bangs into 2nd gear. The engine is shutting off. Will restart after. Local repair man said it is the tranny computer. Trans was replaced 3yrs ago by last owner. I had a fluid/filter changed when we got it with correct Mopar ATF from Jeep dealer. Was fine for 4,000 miles until now. Trans always did shift from 1st to 2nd at too high RPM's (2500 or so). Was going to have adjustment done to throttle body/trans cable, but never got around to it. Local repair man said there is a engine computer AND a trans computer, and the trans one is getting hot and causing this. Any advice or info would be helpful. Thanks.....

stepjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

find a different mechanic. the pcm, powertrain control module, controls both the trans and the engine in all 98 grand cherokees.

sounds like direct drive failure or torque converter failure. be honest, does your son like to hot rod? revving the motor and dropping it from n to any forward or reverse gear will destroy these transmissions VERY quickly. same goes for if he likes to shift from reverse to drive while still rolling backwards.
the sign that a direct drive failure is imminent is pieces of the snap ring from the direct drive clutch assembly in the pan. they usually are about 1/2" long, 1/4" wide, semi-circular, and 1/8" thick.

the tv cable needing adjustment would likely not factor into what you're experiencing, it doesn't have as much effect on line pressure as earlier fully hydraulic models.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
stepjl
1998 ZJ 

Son's a Good Boy!

I asked him these questions after you posted them. He said he has not. Is there anyway this could be the PCM?? I just don't understand how the motor could race and try and take off at a stop sign with your foot on the brake peddle if it was the trans only. Priced a rebuilt trans at Jeep. Out of the question! Some big amount of $.... I think she said $4200.00 installed!!!! A Jasper is $2200.00 plus install. I have not looked elesewhere yet. The rig has almost 200K, alot of rust, and alot of other things wrong ( A/C, tires, and more). We are thinking of junking it. Shame, the motor is strong. I'm not one to do much work anymore on cars. I still change my own oil, and tune ups, but that's about it. Anything more and I pay someone. My son only knows the same. Thanks for your advise and info.
Unread 07-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
Blwn89gt
1998 ZJ 

I belive those 44re's are probably one of the most expensive rebuilt trannys out there. I had mine rebuilt and i called all over and i got quotes from 1800$ and up. i reminded them i would be removing and installing it.They said yeah thats the price before labor..
Blwn89gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #5
Buzz98zj
1998 ZJ 

:O I think that's the tranny I have. Same engine and year.
Unread 07-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
stepjl
1998 ZJ 

Jeep GC Trans fixed!

Decided to look at this thing the other evening, and thought might as well check ATF oil level. To my suprise, there was no oil on the dip stick! Added two and a half QTS of AFT+3 and jeep runs/shifts great. Yes, I need a new machanic!! Trouble is ATF oil/filter was changed 4,000 miles ago at Firestone. Oil change at Jeep 200 miles ago. Then tow truck repair garage guy said I needed a new trans computer! Then the owner (me), also did not bother to check the oil level either. Really sad. After ATF oil/filter change, Firestone must no have rechecked after trans was good and hot. The jeep dealer....no excuse, as they did a 28 point check up with my oil change. Tow truck guy..... he blamed it on his worker. That guy is toast. Trouble is I just signed for a $15,000 car loan for my son. I would have never done this if I knew the jeep was ok. Well I guess I have learned a lesson.
Unread 07-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #7
sabzz
1997 ZJ 

Wish mine was that easy! I was driving home one day and was passing somebody, all of a sudden mid way through the pass heard a terrible grinding noise that lasted about a second. Jeep didn't slow down, all gauges checked out properly, and seemed fine so kept on going (i was about a mile and a half from my house). Got home, all was fine, went to work. On way to work, had to give jeep a little gas to get going. Thought nothing of it. got off work went to friends house did the same thing again. Started wondering but kept going to his house (total mileage driven so far since heard the grinding noise: less than 5) On way home, had to literally floor the jeep to get it to move. Knew something was wrong. I'd be driving 35 mph and it would start revving on its own to about 2k rpm. Also came to a stop at a stop light and it sat there and revved itself for about 30 seconds. Had to floor it to get it to move again. In between shifts it would rev high then engage in gear. Step dad drove it and was all of this but 50 times worse. Every time we tried to move it we literally had to red-line the rpm meter and even sometimes it wouldnt move. The plan for right now is to replace the transmission. (its got 181k on her and we don't think its ever been changed) Family friend who knows pretty much a little bit about everything, thinks its the bands. But to be sure soon as we get the funds (in the next 2 weeks) we're going to have her checked out and if its the trans replace it completely ourselves.
sabzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.