98 JGC Driver Rear Cargo Window - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 JGC Driver Rear Cargo Window

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
Argo
1998 ZJ 

98 JGC Driver Rear Cargo Window

Greetings,
I just got this Jeep a month ago (98 JGC Limited 5.2). I noticed then that there was what looked like silicone smudges around the rear driver's cargo window. I had assumed it had leaked at some point and was sealed. The window felt as solid in the frame as the passenger side. It has rained here quite good a few days a week since then. The window has never leaked.
Today, I was out doing some yard work and the window just didn't look right. When I looked at what it was, the window has slid down about half an inch and now gapping at the bottom. I pushed it back up into place but didn't seem quite right. So, I peeled it out of there. It looks like some type of white caulking was put in to hold with window.
I've searched online and this forum on this issue. I can't seem to find how this window is suppose to be in the frame. Near as I can tell, there is suppose to be a gasket on the inside of the molding that holds the window in. I can't tell but that might have been cut off say when it was removed at a junkyard. The molding on the inside has about a 3/16th lip that is fairly uniform with just a couple of scallops. So, I'm not sure if it is suppose to be like that or some part was cut off. There is also a clip with two half inch fingers and I notice three other locations where it looks like clips should go.
Should have taken some pics I suppose. I have it secured with gorilla tape for now.
How are these windows suppose to be attached? Is there a way I could glue it in?

Argo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
Argo
1998 ZJ 

https://picasaweb.google.com/defriss...argoSideWindow
Not sure if the window just came unsealed at some point or was replaced, but some type of adhesive caulk was used to hold it in. Not sure why it didn't give out a week ago when it was 90. Now to scrape all that junk out and use the right stuff. I'm assuming I need something like black RTV.
Unread 08-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

Those windows are supposed to be glued in like windshields. Maybe you can buy the glue at autozone and I'd imagine you need the surface very clean.
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

It looks like someone called Rosie the Plumber instead of Safelite.

There is a windshield (rope type) caulking that's used for that kind of installation. The clips are only there to hold the window in place until the urethane sealant can fully set up. Usually 24 hrs.

You'll have to clean off all of Rosie's crap and prep the glass and frame with PVC cleaner or Acetone to get a good strong leak free bond. Hunt down clips so the glass won't try to travel. ( It probably won't bc that rope seal is very strong stuff)

Make sure you get it on correctly. There's no second chances with this stuff.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

honestly, i'd just call a mobile glass repair company and have that fixed for 50$ instead of screwing around with it diy.
i hate windshields.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 12:35 AM   #6
Argo
1998 ZJ 

I have 2/3rds of the gunk removed. Looks like it is Liquid Nails! I'm going to clean it up the best I can. Then get a quote from Safelite and the local dealership. It might be cheaper and better than getting the materials to reinstall the glass myself.
Unread 08-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #7
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

^^^x2 Just be sure to get all that junk off.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2011, 01:08 AM   #8
scooter83

I agree, it looks like a total amateur repair job that someone did just so they could sell the jeep to you. Don't be surprised if you find other botched repair jobs.

Sometimes it's easier and better to just take it to the pros, and this is probably one of those situations. Like you said, the materials alone would cost a good portion of what it would to have the pros use their equipment.

You might want to call a few windshield places as their prices are very competitive (I have at least 20 places in my area).
scooter83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.