98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo..Positive battery terminal?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo..Positive battery terminal??

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Speedymcracer01

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo..Positive battery terminal??

My positive battery terminal has gone bad. My terminal looks stock "its crimped on the wires". I need to know what's the best way to remove the crimped battery terminal? I do not want to cut the wires,that's why i'm asking

Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

check the ones in this post

doesnt get much better than that.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
check the ones in this post

doesnt get much better than that.
Lol

JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Speedymcracer01

I didn't see much. I know I can cut the ends from the crimped terminal,but I don't want to cut my wires. Could I heat the terminal, and pull it off when I get it hot enough,or would I just be better off cutting the positive wires at the terminal. Then just install the new terminal like i would any other terminal
Unread 10-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #5
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Pretty sure the originals are cast onto the wire or solder slugged. The reason Nicholson and myself did ours that way was to provide a way to change the terminal without worrying about the cable. The clamp on style terminal leaves alot to be desired as far as dependability and strength. By soldering and crimping a eyelet that attached to the military or wrangler style cable end you give good conductivity and easier service capability. If you are interested in pursuing this way of doing it I will post some more stuff to help you. The post clamps that have the two screws are really only meant to be used in a emergency and leave a door wide open for corrosion to "crawl" up your cables giving problems later on.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 05:04 AM   #6
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

could old terminals be softened with a torch, then pulled off? That's the only way i can think of to preserve cable length

confession: i'm guilty of halfassing it and using the parts store cheapo terminals. after seeing your setup, i have cable envy.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 05:33 AM   #7
Speedymcracer01

Yea conserving cable length was my main concern. I would like to use a good quality terminal instead of the cheap replacements like I have on my negative terminal. I put a fleet terminal on my negative post about a month ago. Well last night I disconnected my negative terminal so I could replace a couple wires to my amp, well anyways my negative terminal already has corrosion on it. I don't have the money to buy good quality terminals at the moment,but I can get them in a couple weeks. If you know of a decent quality terminal I can purchase that isn't real expensive I'm open for suggestions. If you have any information on removing the crimped terminal with out cutting my positive wires I'm also open for suggestions on that subject as well. I been wondering if the lead terminal would heat up and expand enough to pull the wires out. The wires do have just a bit of room for movement the way it is. So it shouldn't take much to get the terminal to separate from the wire right?
Unread 10-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #8
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Why not just replace the entire cable? You can buy generic ones with or without the battery end on it all you need is the length you want.
Unread 10-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #9
Speedymcracer01

I don't have that kinda money right now. My main concern is to be able to jump in and crank it with out having to tap the positive terminal every other time I go to crank it. My jeep is in pretty poor condition at the moment the suspension is shot the ignition components are surprisingly still operating good enough to get back and forth to work. Its been my everyday driver for over 3 years. Its pretty nerve racking knowing it's my everyday driver, but yet while I'm going down the road it has me wondering if the suspension is even going to hold up from point a to point b. I'm just trying to replace the positive terminal with out having to replace my positive wires so I at least know when I'm leaving for work its going to crank. Hopefully I will be able to park it in a few weeks so I will be able to rebuild everything that desperately needs to be replaced. I just have to make sure it will get me to work for a couple more weeks until I get the rest of the money for a transmission so I can get my car fixed. After I get the tranny in my car the jeep is going to be put on jack stands for suspension rebuild and the motor is going to be pulled and prepped for rebuild not to mention the tranny also needs some love it's been wanting to jerk when shifting out of first into second. It does it real bad when I'm going up a hill so I might as well rebuild it while I have everything tore down.
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
Speedymcracer01

Well I had to just cut the crimped terminal off. Last night at work my jeep wouldn't crank with out a jump. The second time I jumped it off I noticed the positive battery post was loose. I had no choice but to cut it. The crimped terminal broke in half when I was trying to remove it from the broke battery post. Luckily I picked up a positive terminal last week so I just had to pull the battery out of my car that needs a tranny and make do with what I had. By the way you was right I do need to replace the battery cables they are in poor condition. Thank you guys for the feed back I appreciate it.
Unread 10-12-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Hope all your repairs go well Speedy.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
Speedymcracer01

Thanks bro I'll need it. When ever I can get the cash up to get her where she needs to be
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #13
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedymcracer01 View Post
I don't have that kinda money right
Dude it's like $10

Edit: Looked it up for my 94 4.0l, a 25" cable is only $8.39 my cost.... NAPA part number 781103.

It's little stuff like that that can turn your Jeep from a death trap to a confident daily driver. When I purchased mine for $500 it needed A LOT. I put $300 into it immediately to get it driveable and in the 2-3 years have only put another $600 and it's driveable from here all the way to California if I wanted. A totaly of $1200 in a high mileage Jeep and that included purchasing it and installing brand new Falken Rocky Mountant ATS tires in a 31"x10.50x15
Unread 10-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #14
Speedymcracer01

I'm going to save up and do everything at once. I'm going to replace the positive, and negative wires they are becoming briddle. When I ran my hot wire to my amp I did it in a hurry basically half assed it. So I'm going to rerun it threw the firewall like it should be.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.