Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

98 Grand I6 loud deceleration, groaning

716 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jvillalp7 
#1 ·
Everything runs fine until i hit 30mph-40mph the groan starts up as if the A/C is on or something is putting the engine under stress. The same goes for deceleration. At first ithought my brakes were groaning really bad but noticed its not. And the engine will not do it in park even while revving the engine...???
98 Grand Cherokee I6 130kmiles

#2 ·
Does it sound like it's coming from the engine compartment or do you "feel" it more than just hear it, through the gas pedal, shifter handle, etc? If it doesnt do it in park....than it's probably not the engine. ( could be mains, but i doubt it...for they tend to knock)

When my rear pinion bearing went out....it was only heard when there was a load on it....as in accelerating or pulling a hill. Yours could be a wheel bearing, though. How about when you apply the brakes? Does the sound change or stop?

#3 ·
Applying the brakes it sounds the same. Sound comes from the engine. i also do have a slight knock and it sputters to accelerate once in a while. i actually do not feel it at all. even my passengers can hear the sound. its a loud humm...freeway usage going 65-75mph no noise but only between 30-40mph and when letting off the gas 40mph and under. even with no a/c its confusing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.