98 Grand Cherokee with Rough Start/Idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 Grand Cherokee with Rough Start/Idle

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 06-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
Squirrel69

98 Grand Cherokee with Rough Start/Idle

This is a great site, but unfortunatley I am getting more confused the more I read and try to find out the problem. Basically, my 1998 (6 cylinder) Grand Cherokee is acting like it is running out of gas periodically. It seems to happen more while it is "warming up". I will be going down the road and it acts like it is running out of gas and wants to stall. I put in park, turn off engine. It will start right back up, but will start actine like it is running out of gas again. I changed the plugs and wires. This did make a noticable improvement - although it still does it some - just not as bad as it did. I have also cleaned the Idle Air Controller and intake. This showed no noticable improvement. Another thing worth mentioning, when I start it up the first time when it is cold, it is hard to start. But once the engine has warmed up, it starts up quickly. Please help. I have already taken it to a mechanic who charged me $65 just to say that they don't know what it is.

Squirrel69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
zvanit03ru
1997 ZJ 

TPS? Ignition coil? Anyone else..?
zvanit03ru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
CULate
1930 J-Series Truck 

The cheapest thhing to do is run some Lucas Injector Cleaner through it. Lucas made a world of difference in our 5.9 after a few tanks of gas mixed with Lucas. I don't have the big money many of you appear to have to throw parts at a problem without being fully sure what is wrong. So I go cheap.
CULate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2009, 09:51 PM   #4
SpikeDude

I'd say clean the injectors like CULate said, my Jeep is rough starting when it's cold. Is your idle real low, like 300RPMs? Maybe check your altinator also.
SpikeDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
sdowney717
1998 ZJ 

try replacing the fuel filter

verify the fuel pump pressure and volume. You could disconnect the fuel line at the fuel rail and see how well it flows.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #6
UnderTheWooDd
1995 ZJ 

I had the exact same problem and i just replaced the filter and now it's all good. mine went a step further than yours in that it actually started and then died a few times until the fuel pump pressure burst the clog (at least that's what my meager understanding for fuel systems would lead me to believe). if that doesn't help you might wanna hook up a scan tool if you have access to one, because it could be a problem with your fuel pump. that's my best guess. hope this helps
UnderTheWooDd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2009, 07:08 AM   #7
Squirrel69

This seems to be a common the problem the more I read. However, there seems to be about 20 different things it could be. I think the things worth noting are that new plugs and wires did make a difference (just never made it go away altogether), and that it is hard to starts when cold. There are no codes. I think I will start with the coil, then the fuel filter. Sound right?
Unread 06-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Mine is still doing it and I've replaced the following:
-Coil
-Wires/Plugs
-IAC
-TPS
-Ran two bottles of Gumout Regane and one tankful of Techron through it (this actually helped a TON with smoothing out the idle)

I have a distributor cap/rotor ready to go in tonight, and I'm also going to test the fuel pressure. Hopefully one of those two is the problem, because my last guess is a clogged cat...
'51 CJ-3A

Last edited by RyanZJ; 06-09-2009 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: Forgot that I ran some injector cleaner through it as well...
RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

I would also check the first O2 sensor... a bad O2 sensor can cause engine hesitation and possible stallin as the engine is mixing the wrong amount of oxyen and fuel causing odd behavior.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
jlindseyjr
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanZJ View Post
Mine is still doing it and I've replaced the following:
-Coil
-Wires/Plugs
-IAC
-TPS

I have a distributor cap/rotor ready to go in. I'm also going to test the fuel pressure. Hopefully one of those two is the problem, because my last guess is a clogged cat...
I had the same issue (among others), turned out to be a cracked distributor cap. I sprayed a little water on it and could actually see the arc. Now I'm experiencing the infamous "Jeep stall"
jlindseyjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #11
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Turns out the new IAC that I put in less than a month ago **** the bed already, so that was keeping my Jeep from idling. Replaced it with my cleaned-up OE unit and it started right up!

Also, I installed the cap and rotor last night. Time will only tell, but I'm willing to bet that my days of rough idle and the CEL are gone. The rotor was bent to hell and there was carbon all over it. It runs like a champ now, I'm loving it!
'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #12
skilled1
1998 ZJ 

put a fuel filter in it. and see where you are at.
skilled1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 12:42 AM   #13
UnderTheWooDd
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJPunk98 View Post
I would also check the first O2 sensor... a bad O2 sensor can cause engine hesitation and possible stallin as the engine is mixing the wrong amount of oxyen and fuel causing odd behavior.
ah yes but don't forget the MAF
UnderTheWooDd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #14
Squirrel69

So this is the update. Autozone talked me out of changing the Ignition Coil saying there would be the code, and said it probably is the fuel pump because it takes a while to start while cold, and needs to build the pressure up. Have 173,000 miles, and original pump. Went and had the fuel pressure checked, and it was 50, what they said is OK. Of course, this was with a warmed up engine. Does it matter if you check the fuel pressure with a hot or cold engine? The jeep did stall on my way home after having the fuel pressure checked (warmed up engine). I am told that the fuel filter is in the tank with the pump, and to change that is going to be over $500. The Jeep seems to be running fine except for this stalling issue. I am not to thrilled about just throwing cash at the mechanie for "diagnostic" fees though. Any more insight?
Unread 06-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #15
SouthZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel69 View Post
So this is the update. Autozone talked me out of changing the Ignition Coil saying there would be the code, and said it probably is the fuel pump because it takes a while to start while cold, and needs to build the pressure up. Have 173,000 miles, and original pump. Went and had the fuel pressure checked, and it was 50, what they said is OK. Of course, this was with a warmed up engine. Does it matter if you check the fuel pressure with a hot or cold engine? The jeep did stall on my way home after having the fuel pressure checked (warmed up engine). I am told that the fuel filter is in the tank with the pump, and to change that is going to be over $500. The Jeep seems to be running fine except for this stalling issue. I am not to thrilled about just throwing cash at the mechanie for "diagnostic" fees though. Any more insight?
The PCM can not see when your Ignition coil is bad so you would not get a code

if it just runs rough in idle its often the IAC

(do the key trick) If it dose not start CPS or Cam sensor because there will let the ASD cut out your engine and you would get the code 11 for CPS or 54 for Cam sensor

a wrong working IAC dose not always give you a code but if you get 25 its your IAC

The fuel filter is not in the Tank its infront of it very easy to get there and a cheap fix

The pump sits in the tank and you should first check your pressure befor replacing it

Get yourself registered with jeepunlimited.com then you can use the download area there you can download a rep. manual where you will find how to mesure the resistance of your ignition coil then you can see if it is still good but i would think its a dirty or not right working IAC

I hope that helps and do not buy anything be for you not have checked your codes and or cleand your IAC
SouthZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.