98 Grand Cherokee Ltd. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 Grand Cherokee Ltd.

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-24-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
DLK

98 Grand Cherokee Ltd.

I keep getting a "Liftgage Open" message on the information Center. Now the battery is draining overnight and I'm not sure if it is related. There are two parts to the liftgate mechanism: the solenoid /actuator - $81.25 and the actual latch - $62.50. If I had to replace one which would you recommend I try first? Do you think the security system could think the Liftgate is open and not shut down, hence the battery drain? Any help is greatly appreciated.

DLK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

Start with adjusting the bump stops before buying parts.

Unplug the white BCM (body control module) connector under the dash to the left of the steering column overnight and see if the battery still drains. Test for parasitic battery drain with a multi-meter and pull fuses or the white BCM connector to see what the culprit is.

There's a thread on it here somewhere. The white BCM connector narrows the drain down to 19 things, instead of about 500, then you go from there. Likely it's the VIC sending a warning after the key is shut off, which could very well be caused by the liftgate sensor being bad.
Unread 03-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
rustynail
1996 ZJ 

The hatch is either closed or is not closed so I wouldn't mess with the bumpstops. I would think it's the switch. With all 4 doors closed for a long time, open the hatch and close it. The light should go out quite quickly compared to when a door is closed. The light may not even come on when you open the hatch because it already thinks it is open. Don't assume it needs to be replaced either, you may be able to adjust it. I don't know what to say about the battery draining, it could be pointing to something more serious.
rustynail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
DLK

E-Man, Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try. I Appreciate the feedback.
Unread 03-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
DLK

ZJ-Orvis, Thanks to you as well.
Unread 03-25-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
baxy

if the rear wiper is inop at this time it is probably the glass latch or the liftgate latch
unplug one at a time and check your VIC
baxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2009, 07:13 AM   #7
DLK

Thanks Baxy. I never thought to check the flip glass and the you are right the rear wiper does not work. I bought a new latch installed it and the problem was not resolved. Then I put the old one back in (since there was probably nothing wrong with it in the first place) and I am now having a heck of a time getting the little rod to attach properly (the threaded end). The liftgate will close and lock but you can't open it again.
Unread 03-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
vansskaterfreek
1998 ZJ 

you most likely need the switch in the latch, mine was bad and it would say it was open. i got it from my dealership, and it was like $10 or $20 my cost since i work there (i think), you shouldn't need the entire latch, just buy 2 switches and be done with it
Unread 03-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
DLK

THANKS, Are they easier to get to than the latch itself?
Unread 03-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #10
DLK

I just checked with Jeep parts and they only sell the actuator which includes the swtch. Is this the switch you replaced? The price the dealer gave me is $81.00.
Unread 03-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #11
vansskaterfreek
1998 ZJ 

ill check at work tomorrow... PM me your vin number and ill price it out for you.
Unread 03-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #12
rustynail
1996 ZJ 

I had lots of trouble with keeping the threaded rod thingy attached. If that thing comes off it is absolute hell to get in there while the hatch is closed. When I knew I had it adjusted right I put 2 or maybe 3 zip ties around it in various ways and have not had a problem since. Trouble arises when there is pressure on the hatch from inside or the adjustable stops are too far out. I have a 33" back there so I have to always push on the hatch before I pull the lever. If the threaded rod thingy does not sit in flush in the clip, bend the rod so that it does or it may not hold - horrible design.
5.9 ORVIS 33x12.5 MTR-Kevlar, 7" fr adj IR LA's, 7" rr adj RE SF SA's, adj JKS TB's, RE SB disc, RE Springs, JKS ACOS, 13" RS9000XL's, OME SS, NP231, Durango box, IR Sliders, IR Skid, 3" Flowmaster 70, K&N, Superwinch EPi9.0, Optima Yel, 2 air comp, Alpine, Garmin, Sunroof
Unread 03-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #13
rustynail
1996 ZJ 

Oh and when I got my Jeep my rear wiper did not work but after a few hatch slams it started working all the time
5.9 ORVIS 33x12.5 MTR-Kevlar, 7" fr adj IR LA's, 7" rr adj RE SF SA's, adj JKS TB's, RE SB disc, RE Springs, JKS ACOS, 13" RS9000XL's, OME SS, NP231, Durango box, IR Sliders, IR Skid, 3" Flowmaster 70, K&N, Superwinch EPi9.0, Optima Yel, 2 air comp, Alpine, Garmin, Sunroof

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.