98 Grand Cherokee Laredo Alarm problems-Factory or Aftermarket? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo Alarm problems-Factory or Aftermarket?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
my2monkeys
1989 XJ Cherokee 

98 Grand Cherokee Laredo Alarm problems-Factory or Aftermarket?

Just got my nephew his first car, a 98 GC Laredo 4.0 2WD. My question is how can I tell if this thing has a factory alarm or aftermarket one? Its very different from my factory alarm on my 95 GC Limited.

Ok on my 95, I dont have the key fob anymore but my alarm will arm when I hit the auto door lock button on the drivers door and will disarm when I unlock the drivers door or the tailgate using thd key.

On the 98 GC which does have a key fob, the alarm will will arm by auto door lock on drivers door or by pushing lock button in the fob. It will not disarm with the key turn in any door, at all. It will only disarm using the unlock button on the fob.

Heres the issue im having. After unlocking with fob all is ok for about 30 seconds then for some reason the alarm will re-arm itself. I was replacing the cargo area carpet yesterday. I unlocked doors with fob, opened the 2 back dooes and the lift gate, then after 30 seconds itvre-armed and I would have to hit the unlock button again or risk the alarm going off if I made the car wiggle too much. I ended up clipping the fob onto my belt loop because I needed to hit unlock ever 30 -60 seconds.
It was a huge pita. What could cause this?

Im not sure its a factory alarm as it also differs from mine in that prior to me putting new batteries in the fob, the alarm would go off every time you used the key to unlock the door. The only way to disarm it was by putting the key inbthe ignition, turning to the on position and pressing a button thats under the dash on the drivers side near the obdii connector. My 95 ltd doesnt have any button under the dash for disarming the alarm. That is why I think the 98 might have an aftermarket alarm. But either way, what would cause the issues im having with it and or how can I dusable it all together. I've read that if I cut the violet/yellow wire and ground it that my dome lights will never shut off causing a dead battery. Thats what happens if you use that method on the 98 models only.

Any help identifying factory vs. aftermarket and fixing or properly disconnecting altogether would be great.

Thanks

mine 89 xj 4.0 aw4 np242 445,000mi

nephews 98 zj laredo 4.0 2WD 213690mi
my2monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

Wiggle is your answer. The standard 98 alarm did not come with a vibration sensor. It was strictly a break in entry kind of alarm. Factory alarm has tiny lock cylinder switches on the back of cylinder for doors and tailgate. It also did not have a "button". However, Mopar offered a add on alarm system that DID have a vibration sensor and disarm button called the EVS system 1 or 2. If under your hood you have a siren looking device you may have a EVS system. Factory standard alarm has a red flashing indicator up on the platform behind the dashpad as well which usually also has a photocell for auto headlights but not always. I have a complete EVS2 system sans 1 needed harness that I never have located.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 03:44 AM   #3
my2monkeys
1989 XJ Cherokee 

The 98 in question here, does have have a red indicator light, on the dash, just left of steering wheel where the headlight switch is located. It flashes when the system is armed. When you press the unlock button on the fob the light stays on solid. When its solid on, you can open the doors without the alarm going off BUT after about 30 seconds or so it beeps once, headlights flash once, and then the red light on dash starts blinking again. It doesn't matter what your doing, every 30 seconds it will do that. My husband had to keep the fob in his pocket while checking hoses and fluids last night. He ended up having to use the fobs unlock button to disarm it so it wouldn't go off while under the hood checking stuff. I think I heard him hit that button unlock button 10 or more times, easily.
Also, I received the Build Sheet from Jeep Cares today and it shows all that was factory on the Jeep. It shows it came with GXMS Keyless Entry with Panic Alarm. So is my problem with all of the lock sensors, since using the key in any door does not disarm the alarm. Or is it a PCM or BCM problem needing to be reset? I would like to disable it altogether but don't want to have any other problems as a result. Is this really only something a dealer can fix? It just doesn't make any sense.

Unread 09-21-2013, 03:58 AM   #4
my2monkeys
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Another quick one here...I read somewhere on here that the PCM or BCM or both have to be reset or programmed by the Dealer using their DBR scanner. If a person had a DBR scanner could they do the programming themselves or does the dealer have some magic special one? Seems like this is a huge issue and you would think that someone has found a work around or proper way to disconnect these alarm, while still having the use of the keyless entry and without having to go pay ridiculous amounts of money for a dealer to do it. Especially when you vehicle is older and your are the third owner.

Unread 09-21-2013, 04:27 AM   #5
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

Keyless entry and "panic alarm" doesn't have to indicate a factory alarm. Since your red light is not in the location the factory alarm usually is I'm guessing you have an aftermarket alarm. This could be a wiring nightmare depending on who installed it. On a 98 once the pcm/bcm has had the alarm turned on{using a drb3} it cannot be turned off. Your best option may be to take it to a shop that installs aftermarket alarms and tell them you want it removed.

DRB3's sell for 1-3 thousand used on ebay,so not many people fool with them. Look under the dash for a control box that looks like it has different looking wiring or if you stumble upon a box that has DEI 455T {not sure of the numbers}. It is an alarm interface and is a sure indicator of an aftermarket alarm.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.