Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

98 Grand Cherokee Laredo starts, runs for a few minutes and dies

531 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  dylandewandel 
#1 ·
So, here I was today checking out this 98 Grand Cherokee for sale. The main issues I saw were your standard oil leaks and the muffler had a hole in its tank. Nothing that would've immediately caused me to worry. I test drove it, ran great, transmission was smooth as could be. It gave me no issues.

But.

I go to buy it, lady takes my money and I take the title. We shake hands. I drive it maybe a quarter mile down the road and it totally shuts off. Like lights and all. Completely killed. When I tried to start it again, it would turn and sounded fine turning but nothing would happen. What was strange was that the lights, headlights, gauges and all, would not turn on. But the engine would turn?

Luckily I got my money back and no hard feelings were felt, but it was a great jeep and I was just curious as to what may be wrong with it? It's a 4.0.

Initially thought about the pesky security system, but would that affect the lights not turning on? It was a great jeep and it would be awesome to buy for the price I would have paid for, but obviously don't want something that will just shut off on the road

Fuses, ect. Any ideas?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.