98 Grand Cherokee front end noise...??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 Grand Cherokee front end noise...???

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 08-28-2007, 07:03 PM   #1
cocheesedod

98 Grand Cherokee front end noise...???

I have a 98 grand cherokee 4.0L. I was having a popping noise coming from the front passenger side when I turned and slowed down that was accompanied by a loud whirring sound. The passenger side U-joint was bad so I replaced it a coulpe weeks ago which took care of the popping noise. This didn't take care of the whirring noise that sounds like a dry bearing or possibly a metal on metal rub. I ordered a new wheel hub and replaced it today but the noise is did not go away. I checked the oil in the front diff and it looked good. The only thing I noticed is with the front of the vehicle off the ground (in 2WD)I could spinn the wheel and the front drive shaft would also turn. If I am in 2WD should the front drive shaft be turning?? I know only enough to be dangerous when it comes to four wheel drives. I think the noise is coming from the front drive shaft but I can't pin point wether its from the diff or the transfer case. Any Ideas.......I am planning to take it out of town this weekend (around 500 miles) but I would hate to A$$ something up!!

cocheesedod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.