98 Grand Cherokee electrical problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 Grand Cherokee electrical problem?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail TJ, YJ and CJ A/T Fender Flares available @ Oconee Off-Roa*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 05-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
cali7312
1998 ZJ 

98 Grand Cherokee electrical problem?

Hey i have a 98 grand cherokee 4.0 and for some reason if it sits for more then 5 hours without running or if my doors are open for 20min without running or if its cold over night my jeep will be completely dead. I had the battery tested and its fine, i have a brand new alternator. Im putting new terminals on the battery tonight bc mine are cracked and old. But still confused, also if i lock my doors my battery will die in 5minutes and then my alarm system goes off and wont turn off, but i have no idea where the alarm fuse is to pull it to maybe fix this problem, any help?

thanks

cali7312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali7312 View Post
Hey i have a 98 grand cherokee 4.0 and for some reason if it sits for more then 5 hours without running or if my doors are open for 20min without running or if its cold over night my jeep will be completely dead. I had the battery tested and its fine, i have a brand new alternator. Im putting new terminals on the battery tonight bc mine are cracked and old. But still confused, also if i lock my doors my battery will die in 5minutes and then my alarm system goes off and wont turn off, but i have no idea where the alarm fuse is to pull it to maybe fix this problem, any help?

thanks
There is absolutely NOTHING on a vehicle that can drain a GOOD battery in as little as 5 minutes. I have seen batteries test good and actually have a bad cell or bad internal connection.

Try a known GOOD battery and see what happens.
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

if your battery really is good, there has to be something draining power. to turn the alarm off, did you try putting the key in your door and turning it left like you are unlocking it?
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
classicmetalman

Maybe a bad ground or short somewhere? I'd check all your grounds and clean em off.

The hunt starts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
cali7312
1998 ZJ 

Yeah. When I get the time I'm going to check mygrounds but I also have Ben trying to find out where the alarm fuse is to pull it, but I can't seem to find it. After all that if still fails I will be getting a new battery.
Unread 05-12-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

There ain't just one fuse to pull to kill the alarm - that'd be a pretty lame alarm, wouldn't it?
As TallyZJ said, anything that'd kill a 75Ah battery in 5 minutes would have to be huge, hot and/or very visible. Hell, your headlights on high would take about an hour to kill the good full battery!

Get another battery from someone - that you KNOW is good, and test it. Or you could get the ampmeter, connect it in series with (+) on the batt (that is, disconnect the (+) form the batt, and connect cable-ampmeter-batteryPost). Then close all doors and whatever, wait 1-2 minutes for all the electrical stuff to go to sleep, and then see how much amps are "running away". From there, if the draw is big, you can proceed to pull out fuses one by one, until the draw dissapears - then you have your culprit.

Still, to kill a full batt in 5 minutes... Reading 75Ah means the batt can provide 75 amperes through a full hour. Or 36-37 amperes for 2 hours. Or 15 amperes for 5 hours. Discharging the batt of 75 amps in 1 hour means there's a load of 75A on it. Discharging the same batt in half an hour means 150A load. In 15 minutes is 300A load. In 5 minutes? That must be a helluva load that simply can't pass unobserverd!!!

My vote is your batt is kaputt, or there's a very bad case of lousy ground somewhere.
Unread 05-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
MaintMech

1996 ZJ 

X2 What he ^^^ said!!

And you can get a clamp on ammeter that'll read amp draw by just putting the probes around the battery cables. If you use a multimeter be careful at the amp draw you're talking about you could easily fry the thing out.
Unread 05-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #8
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

yup, I forgot that part - multimeter must be rated enough for that power. I protected my multimeter by not connecting it directly to batt & wire, but I inserted a 15A fuse inline with it, since my multimeter is rated 20A. So the 15A fuse would blow before my multimeter.
Unread 05-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
cali7312
1998 ZJ 

alright, my buddy has a battery im going to try for a week, and if its fixes it im going to buy a brand new battery, if doesnt fix im going to check all grounds and go from there!
Unread 05-13-2011, 03:22 AM   #10
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

BTW, how old is your batt anyways? I talked to a Bosch dealer not so long ago (Bosch is said to be a serious & good quality batteries here) and he said that basically everything older than 2 years is borrowed time. Sure, some give you the 2 or 3 year warranty, but that's just them gambling. With that said, my mother's batt in her Mercedes had 9 years on it when she swapped it. 9 years! Next one, of course, lasted 2 weeks past the guarantee. And the 3rd one lasted for 3 years. On my YJ I had before a no-name batt lasted over 6 years... So basically it all points to a bad battery in your case.
Unread 05-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #11
cali7312
1998 ZJ 

alright, well i should be getting that battery soon. also my passenger rear door window wont go up or down, is that just a bad ground on my driver side door?
Unread 05-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #12
MaintMech

1996 ZJ 

Possible. More than likely it's in the wiring harness between the door and the frame. I'd start with the drivers side (it gets more use) and look for broken, worn wires.
Unread 05-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali7312
alright, well i should be getting that battery soon. also my passenger rear door window wont go up or down, is that just a bad ground on my driver side door?
Can you roll it up with either switch? If not it is probably not the door ground, unless it's like the window lock acting up..
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #14
cali7312
1998 ZJ 

if it works, yeah i can use either switch. im checking grounds when i have time this week
Unread 05-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #15
TRAVIS FOSTER

I`ve been asking for years.There isn`t a way to cut off the 98 alarm.When it goes off unlock the rear hatch or passenger door to shut it off,drivers door doesn`t work. You need a remote for it programmed asap.
My rear doors had the swinging arm that tells when the doors are open messing up. I had to pull them off to stop the battery from draining. That was 6 years ago and it`s still not draining anymore. It would drain the battery in a night.
TRAVIS FOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.