98 grand cherokee electrical issues. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 grand cherokee electrical issues.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-30-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
gearhead460

98 grand cherokee electrical issues.

i have a 98 grand cherokee that is driving me up a wall. the cluster is intermittently working, meaning nothing operates not even the start up menu of warning lights in the lower portion of the cluster. when it isn't, the alarm will not set or the panic button set off the alarm. the indicator led on the dash will lite up and burn for quite a long time then turn off for quite some time. and the passenger window are disabled and periodically when the cluster is off. the jeeps engine will run for about a second then shut off like the fuel pump stops pumping or it was running off the fuel pressure that is present once the key is turned to start. putting one to foot to find a new way to get where you want to go. ok i have read a few of the other questions about this. but some are slightly different in issues. i think it could be the bcm. but i don't know where it is. i have heard of skim models but mine is a thin black key so not a skim vehicle. now this past off period of the cluster has been off the longest yet. ie. not on yet and it's been four days now. most of the time it was only off and then back on during the same trip. i did have to replace the interior lighting fuse before. that story goes as. it had stared to not run as i have explained earlier. i stared my search of the passenger foot well fuses and found a 10 amp interior lighting fuse blown. at that point as i placed that fuse. it keyed off relay clicking noises. and the alarm, door windows, engine, cluster and interior lighting began to work as they should. might i add that when it rains or the ac is at work. the floor board becomes filled with water. and i have performed the clean-out of the crappy designed drain. now the alarm, cluster and windows have failed to operate again. but the interior lights still work like a champ but the curtsy lights in the door have stopped functioning. and all fuses are good. jeep needs to pull there electrical heads out of the brown round hole. all the bells an whistles don't mean squat, if they stop working.

gearhead460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #2
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

I don't know the answer to your problem and not dissing you but break up your paragraphs a bit. I couldn't make it all the way through. Good luck.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
classicmetalman

Wow, you have some jeep issues. Your BCM should b located under the steering wheel behind the lower panel. Several screws and 4 holding the BCM and its out. Wish it were more, but so many directions it could go.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 04:12 AM   #4
gearhead460

thanks for the efforts. i did forget one other issue, but it has seamed to fixed itself. that was a dead battery from time to time. i watched "wile sitting in it in a parking lot" the "comfort control" blower motor started up with the key off. that might explain the dead battery issue.
gearhead460 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.