98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 transmission problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 transmission problems?

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 05-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Georgeninner
1998 ZJ 

98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 transmission problems?

Hello I have a 98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited with 164000 miles in it and the transmission is suddenly slipping really bad. I went offroading at some dunes around where i live and everything was fine until i left. At first it felt like it was stuck on one gear and wasn't responding too good so i went ahead and stopped in the side of the road and turned off the jeep to let it cool down. Once i started it again it was driving normally except for the OD not turning on so at 60 i was almost at 3000rpms. I went ahead and drove slowly back home and right before i got there the OD turned back on by itself and my transmission was shifting perfectly fine. Once i tried moving it again I can floor it and it will accelerate extremely slow and the RPMs go up to almost 4K just to get it going to 40. It will shift into all the gears now but it feels like every gear slips and the acceleration is horrible. What could be wrong with it? My mechanic said its either a solenoid problem or the whole transmission has gone bad. What sounds like the more probable problem? The fluid level is good but it is pretty bad already could that also be the problem? Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Georgeninner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Seems like you overheated it maybe. The OD will turn itself off when it overheats and will not come back on until it cools back down. Do you have an auxiliary transmission cooler? The 5.9 transmission is very easy to overheat since they didn't come with one from the factory. The solenoids going bad is a possibility but those usually start going bad over time, not all at once. I would drain the fluid and see what's in the pan then refill it and cross my fingers.

Did you have the OD off while in the dunes?
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
Georgeninner
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Seems like you overheated it maybe. The OD will turn itself off when it overheats and will not come back on until it cools back down. Do you have an auxiliary transmission cooler? The 5.9 transmission is very easy to overheat since they didn't come with one from the factory. The solenoids going bad is a possibility but those usually start going bad over time, not all at once. I would drain the fluid and see what's in the pan then refill it and cross my fingers.

Did you have the OD off while in the dunes?
No I do not have an auxiliary cooler even though i have been thinking about getting one. What is the damage that could have been caused by overheating the transmission? And well the transmission had been feeling a little funny since i got the jeep a few months ago so maybe that was a sign of the solenoids starting to go bad. And no i did not have it off i normally don't mess with the OD at all, would it have been better to have it off at the time?
Georgeninner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
The 5.9 transmission is very easy to overheat since they didn't come with one from the factory.
I thought the 5.9 and 96-98 5.2 had the same factory trans cooler inside the rad?
BuzzZJ9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzZJ9er View Post
I thought the 5.9 and 96-98 5.2 had the same factory trans cooler inside the rad?
It's not an auxiliary cooler. It's a pathetic excuse for something trying to cool the tranny. I'm gettin close to too hot tranny with 4.56 gears turning 32s on my niner driving in city in hotter weather. IMO, you need to install an aux cooler if you wheel at all.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj

It's not an auxiliary cooler. It's a pathetic excuse for something trying to cool the tranny. I'm gettin close to too hot tranny with 4.56 gears turning 32s on my niner driving in city in hotter weather. IMO, you need to install an aux cooler if you wheel at all.
My niner trans actually burnt up, so when I replace it I'm going with an aux cooler for sure!

I don't get why they combined the two coolers! If one starts to run warm wont the other and double the trouble. My opinion and I could be way off...
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
My niner trans actually burnt up, so when I replace it I'm going with an aux cooler for sure!

I don't get why they combined the two coolers! If one starts to run warm wont the other and double the trouble. My opinion and I could be way off...
You are correct. If the motor overheats it will in turn heat up the tranny and vice verse. I bypassed the radiator trans cooler and just use a large aux cooler in front of the condenser on the passenger side. It cooled my motor off a little too.

98 models had the "redesigned" trans cooler in the radiator so no ZJ's in 98 had aux coolers.
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #8
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
98 models had the "redesigned" trans cooler in the radiator so no ZJ's in 98 had aux coolers.
"Redesigned" apparently means s****y! Lol
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
"Redesigned" apparently means s****y! Lol
Yea, like they said "last year, **** it!"
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:

Yea, like they said "last year, **** it!"
I like your setup. Some ppl say still use stock "cooler" but if you bypass it its one less variable in the mix.
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
I like your setup. Some ppl say still use stock "cooler" but if you bypass it its one less variable in the mix.
I have a friend that had his radiator trans cooler fail and coolant got into the transmission and killed it. That was another reason I did it. I hear that is a very rare thing but knowing someone it happened to was enough for me. You just have to make sure you get an aux cooler that will do a great job and is big enough. I put one on rated for 30,000 GVW. I had a smaller one on there before that and it just wasn't cutting the mustard.
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:

I have a friend that had his radiator trans cooler fail and coolant got into the transmission and killed it. That was another reason I did it. I hear that is a very rare thing but knowing someone it happened to was enough for me. You just have to make sure you get an aux cooler that will do a great job and is big enough. I put one on rated for 30,000 GVW. I had a smaller one on there before that and it just wasn't cutting the mustard.
Wow! That's a scary thought. I'm going to have to suggest my wife do this also with her 5.2. Thanks for the heads up!
Unread 05-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
I have a friend that had his radiator trans cooler fail and coolant got into the transmission and killed it. That was another reason I did it. I hear that is a very rare thing but knowing someone it happened to was enough for me.
Exact thing happened to my dad, about 750 miles from home
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #14
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Would the trans be ok in the winter time with the bypass? I would think you should cover the cooler when it gets cold outside at least.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #15
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
Would the trans be ok in the winter time with the bypass? I would think you should cover the cooler when it gets cold outside at least.
Never had a problem this winter. Didn't block the cooler with anything either. Overdrive functioned shortly down the road so I didn't worry about it. ATF-4 works well in the cold.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.