Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

98 grand Cherokee 4.0 transmission identification

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Timo_90xj 
#1 ·
Trying to replace a transmission in a 98 grand Cherokee for a friend. Got a remanufactored one sent and it's completely different from the one in the Cherokee currently. The one in the Jeep doesn't have any tags or numbers on it. Have a picture of the pan and want to see if someone could tell me what model it is.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design

The transmission they sent me has a more narrow, longer pan

See less See more
#3 ·
Trying to replace a transmission in a 98 grand Cherokee for a friend. Got a remanufactored one sent and it's completely different from the one in the Cherokee currently. The one in the Jeep doesn't have any tags or numbers on it. Have a picture of the pan and want to see if someone could tell me what model it is.

The transmission they sent me has a more narrow, longer pan
You must've ordered an AW4 for an XJ Cherokee, or they accidentally sent you an AW4. Did you order the tranny for a Cherokee (XJ), or a Grand Cherokee ZJ - and if you did say a Grand, were you very clear about it being a '98 4.0 Grand Cherokee ZJ?
XJs use an AW4 behind the 4.0 - which has a narrow/ long pan with a drain plug.
4.0 ZJs use the AW4 only on early-production run '93, late '93-'98 use a Chrysler 42RE.

When ordering, specify it is going into a '98 Grand Cherokee ZJ 4.0 - you should receive a 42RE.

#4 ·
Yea from what I can tell, she was sent a Cherokee transmission. I didn't order it, but according to the paperwork they sent her, it says Jeep Cherokee and not a Grand Cherokee. Thanks for the info

#5 ·
Make sure that you get one for a 1998 Grand Cherokee. The '93-'95 and '96-'98 42RE's are different in how the speedometer sensor works. The early ones are mechanical and the later series is electronic.

I learned that after I bought the 1996 ZJ thinking that its 42RE would be a backup for the one in my 1995.

#6 ·
The early ones are mechanical and the later series is electronic.
Really?

XJs moved to an electric speedometer pickup IIRC back in 1991 when the OBD-I engine control/ diagnostic system came out. It would really surprise me if ZJs used a mechanical speedo pickup on the early models.

Also, speedometer pickup is at the tailhousing in the transfer case extension housing, not in the transmission. Only the RWD models have the speedo pickup on the tranny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.