98 GC Limited Front End Whine (stops when drive shaft is removed) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 GC Limited Front End Whine (stops when drive shaft is removed)

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 05-07-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
pkfish
1998 ZJ 

98 GC Limited Front End Whine (stops when drive shaft is removed)

98 GC Limited has a loud whine from front end. I took the front drive shaft off when I bought this Jeep because the viscous coupler was failing . By the way it whined when I bought it. I just finished the VC replacement and took it for a drive and now I am worried about driving it too much until I can figure out the whine. It only whines when the drive shaft is on and all fluids were replaced with zero shavings from the differentials. It whines at all speeds. The previous owner had a rebuilt front axle, tranny, and a salvaged transfer case put in about a year before I had purchased it. If this was bearings or pinion would it stop whining when the shaft is off?
Please help as I still have never been off road in this jeep and having serious 4x withdrawls....

pkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 01:10 AM   #2
jeepheller98
1998 ZJ 

how are the U joints on the drive shaft? is it a CV shaft or double cardon? is it balanced?
Unread 05-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
RingRingRing
1998 ZJ 

Does it whine the entire time, or just for the first few minutes or so?
RingRingRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
pkfish
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the reply guys!! It has a CV shaft and it is balanced. I made sure to mark it. The guy before me could have screwed with it and put it on the wrong way though.
And yahh it whines like a baby all the time. I know that jeeps are notorious for this but it does not make sense that it stops when you take the drive shaft off.
pkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
Jsun
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkfish View Post
Thanks for the reply guys!! It has a CV shaft and it is balanced. I made sure to mark it. The guy before me could have screwed with it and put it on the wrong way though.
And yahh it whines like a baby all the time. I know that jeeps are notorious for this but it does not make sense that it stops when you take the drive shaft off.
Welcome to the wonderful world of double cardan!
Speed related squeal I'm guessing???
You center ball in the double cardan requires replacement.

"It aint no thang but a "Jeep" thang baby..."
Jsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
dave23
1996 ZJ 

I had the same problem on mine and it was the ball in the double cardanal joint.Same as Jsun said.
dave23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.