98 GC 4.0 No Spark - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 GC 4.0 No Spark

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
FLSnake

98 GC 4.0 No Spark

I have a 98 Grand Cherokee 4.0 2WD, it would start and run for about 30 sec then sputter and die, if I kept it accererated manually at about 1200 RPM it would continue to run ok until i allowed it to idle and again it would sputter and die, sometimes continue sputtering after the key was off also.
Sometimes it would start right back up and other times it would crank and crank and eventually start.

I changed the crank sensor and it did the same thing.

Now it will only crank, no fire, I am getting good fuel pressure when I turn the key on and it continues good as i crank.

I am getting no spark at the plug wires and no spark from the coil wire.

I put a volt meter on the 2 wire connector that feeds the coil and when I turn the key on i get a 12 volt spike then it drops to zero, as i crank i get variable readings from about .10 to .23, no where close to even one volt.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

FLSnake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
FLSnake

Just an update...

I took out the new Crank Sensor and put the old one back in and now it will start but still has same original issues, I must have cooked the new crank sensor.
Unread 07-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
JustN11
1997 ZJ 

Try checking the IAC
JustN11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
FLSnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustN11 View Post
Try checking the IAC
Is there a procedure to check it?
Unread 07-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
JustN11
1997 ZJ 

Well, I've never had IAC problems (knock on wood) but I've heard that you can hear it work. You could try to listen for it. The IAC has a pair of solenoids that make a noise when working. You'll need a stethoscope to hear it though. You might try unscrewing the 4 bolts that hold it down 1/8" and see if that makes a difference as well. There are quite a few threads on here that talk about diagnosing IAC problems. I would search "Idle Air Controller" on here and see if one of those threads could give you a better understanding of how to diagnose it.
JustN11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
melk
1996 ZJ 

How old is your battery? It's surprising the wonky effects a weak battery will have on the behavior of the Jeep.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 04:30 AM   #7
FLSnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk View Post
How old is your battery? It's surprising the wonky effects a weak battery will have on the behavior of the Jeep.
The battery is about 1 1/2 years old, I could have it tested.
Unread 07-11-2012, 05:53 AM   #8
melk
1996 ZJ 

A general note on Sensors, they seem not to like Bosch. BorgWarner (BWD) or NTK/NGK seem to work ok, or of course OEM/Mopar.

I would make sure to check and clean the IAC as well, since that will present problems with idle.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2012, 05:26 AM   #9
FLSnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk View Post
A general note on Sensors, they seem not to like Bosch. BorgWarner (BWD) or NTK/NGK seem to work ok, or of course OEM/Mopar.

I would make sure to check and clean the IAC as well, since that will present problems with idle.
The new crank sensor I bought was a BWD, would the IAC cause the hard start also? Sometimes it cranks on and on before it will restart.
Unread 07-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

Did you disconnect the battery when installing the sensor? Almost sounds like a bad coil driver. Any codes?

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.