98 gauge cluster not problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 gauge cluster not problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 01-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
gamudslinger88
1998 ZJ 

98 gauge cluster problem

Whats up fellas. New here and new to Jeeps! I just bought my first Jeep yesterday and I have to say I am falling in love with it. Its a 98 Grand Cherokee 4x4 with the 5.2 and 127k on the ticker. Here is my problem, The gauge cluster doesnt work. The lights work on the cluster but no speedo, volts,oil, tach, ect. Also the dummy light display just above the shifter is going haywire saying my washer fluid is low and my brake lights dont work which they do. Its also saying I have a bad coolant sensor. I have done some research and I think its the BCM. Which BCM code would I need to order for my jeep? I see a bunch on ebay but I dont want to buy one and have to get it programed or even buy the wrong one all together. Also is there anything else yall think could cause this? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by gamudslinger88; 01-03-2010 at 10:07 AM..
gamudslinger88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
Doct21
1997 ZJ 

I have the exact same issue with my 97 5.2.
I would think it was the BCM, but when I plug in my scanner witch uses the same inputs CCD +, CCD - from the PCM I can see speed, temp, and RPM's. And when the cluster is disconnected I lose the readings. This tells me that the signals from the bus are good.. Right??
Also checked all power and grounds to CLuster. All check out.
Even replaced the cluster (used from wrecking yard) does exactly the same thing.

Does anyone know a solution to this? Is it the BCM? I know the VIC is suppose to give similar info that the cluster does but I cant see anywhere on the diagram that ties it into the Cluster.
Doct21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2011, 03:56 AM   #3
n9oig
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've got a 96 4.0 that's currently doing the same thing. I replaced the Bcm already that didn't work.
n9oig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
Doct21
1997 ZJ 

Found the cause!!!!

after hours of studying diagrams and checking all connection I finally found the culprit.
On the BCM there are 3 connectors. Black on the bottom and a white and black on the top.
On the black connector I found the Power from the ignition was dead. Pin 18. Its the orange Wire. i traced it back to the firewall but was unable to find the break (short on time and I had to get it registered).
So i ram a wire from the same wire on the PDC(power distribution center or fuse box) to teh BCM and WOOT!! I have gauges!!
This also affected my cruise, defroster, auto headlamps and VIC.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Doct21; 02-24-2011 at 03:11 PM..
Unread 02-24-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
Doct21
1997 ZJ 

Unread 02-24-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
n9oig
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a question I have. When the gauges don't work is your alarm led on top oh the dash lit?
Unread 02-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
Doct21
1997 ZJ 

Mine was. Alarm and Keyless entry worked just fine.
Unread 03-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
n9oig
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This is the update on mine the CCD line from the PCM was open the CCD is in parallel with just about all the modules r door, left door, VIC, overhead, dash Air Bag and BCM I ran a new twisted pair from the PCM to a door module and everything came to life.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.