98 engine in a 95 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 engine in a 95

Halloween Savings to die for!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 09-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Nemisis623
1995 XJ Cherokee 

98 engine in a 95

I have a 1995 grand cherokee with a 4.0. it's getting close to 300,000 miles and i've found a 1998 4.0 with low miles. was wondering if there would be any issues with swapping the engines? any problems with the computer or sensors? also what are some things i might want to check on the other engine... it's out of the jeep, looks nice, but i honestly don't know if it could have a major internal problem. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Nemisis623 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

I've never swapped one but have seen some discussions on it... and I stayed at the Holiday Inn

The older engines have OBD1 compatible sensors that will need to be swapped over to the newer engine. They have 2 coolant temp sensors, one on the head for the gauge and one on the thermo housing (i think). The newer ones have only one on the housing, so you'll need to drill and tap a hole in the same spot on the new head.

Maybe someone who has done it will come to offer better tips.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Why not just rebuild yours? or is $$ an issue? would be much easier. For the record mine has 301986 mi so I know where your coming from but mine runs like a top.
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

its a lot easier to swap a motor than rebuilt one. and alot less costly. a properly rebuilt motor is easily over 2k. a good running low k one can be had for 500$ or less. that should answer your question why you'd swap instead of rebuilt.

donno about you but i have a hard time dropping 2500$ on a rebuild in a rig worth 500$....................

as for your question to OP, yep its an easy swap. you have to change over all your sensors however. this in itself is not hard. you just have to undo the old ones from the old motor and put em on the new one. take a lot of pics as you take it off.

you are going to have one issue, and thats with the temperature guage. on the 98 there is only one sensor. your 95 uses two different sensors one to the computer and one to the guage. this sensor is located on teh back of the engine block.

if you want a temperature guage you need to plumb in a new/separate one for the 95 (and use the same sensor) i put the new/second sensor in the thermostat housing and the wire there. you'll see what i mean when you pull the motors. you'll have an extra sensor.

yes i've done it and yes it is doable. just a royal pain in the butt if you don't know what i'm talking about. lol good luck
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I suppose, I have been told my jeep is worth 2500$ though so rebuilding mine is a no brainer.
Unread 10-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
I suppose, I have been told my jeep is worth 2500$ though so rebuilding mine is a no brainer.
tell them to buy it off you!!!!!

what would you say mine is worth?
Unread 10-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
chadcmb
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post

$501

haha

come wheel with me in alaska!
chadcmb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
I've never swapped one but have seen some discussions on it... and I stayed at the Holiday Inn

The older engines have OBD1 compatible sensors that will need to be swapped over to the newer engine. They have 2 coolant temp sensors, one on the head for the gauge and one on the thermo housing (i think). The newer ones have only one on the housing, so you'll need to drill and tap a hole in the same spot on the new head.

Maybe someone who has done it will come to offer better tips.
That was too perfect!
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:

Its not for sale.
Unread 10-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

besides I never said id get 2500 I have just been told with all the work ive done to it that it was worth 2500, and honestly thats what id be asking if i was to sell it but i wont selling my jeep at this point would be like loosing a son/daughter lol.
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

My jeeps always for sale . I've had it on kijiji for 6500 a month no bites. Such is life. Just saying amigo it's an old rig. Don't drop to much coin on it. You won't get it back in sale
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcmb View Post
$501

haha

come wheel with me in alaska!
Way to far . Unless I win the lotto. Then I will load it up and go
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #13
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
My jeeps always for sale . I've had it on kijiji for 6500 a month no bites. Such is life. Just saying amigo it's an old rig. Don't drop to much coin on it. You won't get it back in sale
Too late lol. I never inquired about it it was just brought up but seriously though the next person to get my jeep will be the junkyard if I smash it up to the point where its not salvageable. I recently quit smoking mary jane so I have no problem soaking more $$ into it now even more so now I got a 20$ per hour job :-).

Tags
compatability , engine swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.