JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   98 engine in a 95 (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/98-engine-95-a-1616369/)

Nemisis623 09-23-2013 04:44 PM

98 engine in a 95
 
I have a 1995 grand cherokee with a 4.0. it's getting close to 300,000 miles and i've found a 1998 4.0 with low miles. was wondering if there would be any issues with swapping the engines? any problems with the computer or sensors? also what are some things i might want to check on the other engine... it's out of the jeep, looks nice, but i honestly don't know if it could have a major internal problem. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

ZeeJay1997 09-23-2013 06:45 PM

I've never swapped one but have seen some discussions on it... and I stayed at the Holiday Inn :)

The older engines have OBD1 compatible sensors that will need to be swapped over to the newer engine. They have 2 coolant temp sensors, one on the head for the gauge and one on the thermo housing (i think). The newer ones have only one on the housing, so you'll need to drill and tap a hole in the same spot on the new head.

Maybe someone who has done it will come to offer better tips.

xcaliber81 09-23-2013 07:30 PM

Why not just rebuild yours? or is $$ an issue? would be much easier. For the record mine has 301986 mi so I know where your coming from but mine runs like a top.

JohnnyZJ 09-24-2013 09:33 AM

its a lot easier to swap a motor than rebuilt one. and alot less costly. a properly rebuilt motor is easily over 2k. a good running low k one can be had for 500$ or less. that should answer your question why you'd swap instead of rebuilt.

donno about you but i have a hard time dropping 2500$ on a rebuild in a rig worth 500$....................

as for your question to OP, yep its an easy swap. you have to change over all your sensors however. this in itself is not hard. you just have to undo the old ones from the old motor and put em on the new one. take a lot of pics as you take it off.

you are going to have one issue, and thats with the temperature guage. on the 98 there is only one sensor. your 95 uses two different sensors one to the computer and one to the guage. this sensor is located on teh back of the engine block.

if you want a temperature guage you need to plumb in a new/separate one for the 95 (and use the same sensor) i put the new/second sensor in the thermostat housing and the wire there. you'll see what i mean when you pull the motors. you'll have an extra sensor.

yes i've done it and yes it is doable. just a royal pain in the butt if you don't know what i'm talking about. lol good luck

xcaliber81 09-24-2013 04:36 PM

I suppose, I have been told my jeep is worth 2500$ though so rebuilding mine is a no brainer.

JohnnyZJ 10-01-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xcaliber81 (Post 16287529)
I suppose, I have been told my jeep is worth 2500$ though so rebuilding mine is a no brainer.

tell them to buy it off you!!!!!

what would you say mine is worth?
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps3d36f9b0.jpg

chadcmb 10-01-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ (Post 16474649)
tell them to buy it off you!!!!!

what would you say mine is worth?
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps3d36f9b0.jpg

$501
:cheers2:


haha

come wheel with me in alaska!

coralman 10-01-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 (Post 16260033)
I've never swapped one but have seen some discussions on it... and I stayed at the Holiday Inn :)

The older engines have OBD1 compatible sensors that will need to be swapped over to the newer engine. They have 2 coolant temp sensors, one on the head for the gauge and one on the thermo housing (i think). The newer ones have only one on the housing, so you'll need to drill and tap a hole in the same spot on the new head.

Maybe someone who has done it will come to offer better tips.

That was too perfect!:D

xcaliber81 10-01-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ (Post 16474649)
tell them to buy it off you!!!!!

what would you say mine is worth?
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps3d36f9b0.jpg

Its not for sale.

xcaliber81 10-01-2013 05:27 PM

besides I never said id get 2500 I have just been told with all the work ive done to it that it was worth 2500, and honestly thats what id be asking if i was to sell it but i wont selling my jeep at this point would be like loosing a son/daughter lol.

JohnnyZJ 10-01-2013 06:20 PM

My jeeps always for sale ;). I've had it on kijiji for 6500 a month no bites. Such is life. Just saying amigo it's an old rig. Don't drop to much coin on it. You won't get it back in sale :)

JohnnyZJ 10-01-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadcmb (Post 16474913)
$501
:cheers2:


haha

come wheel with me in alaska!

Way to far :(. Unless I win the lotto. Then I will load it up and go

xcaliber81 10-01-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ (Post 16478729)
My jeeps always for sale ;). I've had it on kijiji for 6500 a month no bites. Such is life. Just saying amigo it's an old rig. Don't drop to much coin on it. You won't get it back in sale :)

Too late lol. I never inquired about it it was just brought up but seriously though the next person to get my jeep will be the junkyard if I smash it up to the point where its not salvageable. I recently quit smoking mary jane so I have no problem soaking more $$ into it now even more so now I got a 20$ per hour job :-).


The time now is 09:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.