98 computer in a 97 ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 computer in a 97 ZJ

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Reply
Unread 05-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
Zak62592
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 48
98 computer in a 97 ZJ

Hello, i'm about to purchase a 97 zj whose computer was replaced with one from a 98 zj. There's a check engine light and it may just need to be reset

Will this cause any future problems?

Thanks!

~Zak

Zak62592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
SJZ
Victim of Hope & Change
 
SJZ's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A shining city upon a hill
Posts: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak62592 View Post
Hello, i'm about to purchase a 97 zj whose computer was replaced with one from a 98 zj. There's a check engine light and it may just need to be reset

Will this cause any future problems?

Thanks!

~Zak
Welcome to the Forum!
My GUESS is yes!
Why do you think the person is selling it? Don't buy it assuming that you'll just be able to reset the CEL and all will be OK.
With the high price of gas, ZJ prices are going thru the floor. Granted, I don't know your situation, the asking price, or other info regarding the Jeep, but I might walk away from this one.
__________________
-Steve
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not." -Thomas Jefferson
___________________________________________
'98 ZJ Laredo 5.2 Selec-Trac (249 to 242 swap)
'05 KJ Limited 3.7 Selec-Trac
'94 ZJ Limited 5.2 Q-Trac- sold, after 17 years
'67 International Harvester Scout 800; 345ci V8,T18 4spd, Dana 20 TC
'06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1L
SJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
Kruzin
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Casper, WY.
Posts: 3,165
You need to find out what codes are coming up that are causing the CEL.
96 and 97 are both OBDII, and they may use the same computer (check with a dealer to be sure).
The codes will tell you WHY the CEL is on.
__________________
DD/Wheeler: 98 ZJ 5.2, 4.5" on 33s
DD/Wifeys: 00 XJ, stock
Weekend toy: 13 Challenger R/T Blacktop
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2008, 04:28 AM   #4
Zak62592
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJZ View Post
Welcome to the Forum!
My GUESS is yes!
Why do you think the person is selling it? Don't buy it assuming that you'll just be able to reset the CEL and all will be OK.
With the high price of gas, ZJ prices are going thru the floor. Granted, I don't know your situation, the asking price, or other info regarding the Jeep, but I might walk away from this one.

Hi steve,

the person is selling it because she has no real job right now, and wants to get something that has better gas milage. The asking price is $3000. Everything else is in PERFECT condition
Zak62592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2008, 04:29 AM   #5
Zak62592
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
You need to find out what codes are coming up that are causing the CEL.
96 and 97 are both OBDII, and they may use the same computer (check with a dealer to be sure).
The codes will tell you WHY the CEL is on.
Hello cruzin,

One of my father's friends has one of these tools and we're going to figure out before I purchase it
Zak62592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2008, 04:34 AM   #6
Zak62592
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
You need to find out what codes are coming up that are causing the CEL.
96 and 97 are both OBDII, and they may use the same computer (check with a dealer to be sure).
The codes will tell you WHY the CEL is on.
Hello cruzin,

One of my father's friends has one of these tools and we're going to figure out before I purchase it
Zak62592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.