98 5.9 wants to stall or idle out - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 5.9 wants to stall or idle out

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 06-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
onyx
1995 ZJ 

98 5.9 wants to stall or idle out

She wants to stall or idle out. Only in. When she is at operating temp. In drive. I let her sit for a month. She started doing this. Even with the foot on the petal she will try and choke out

onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
MrMrMr
1993 ZJ 

I'm having the same problem with mine. It might be water in the gas tank/bad gas. It started when my brother put sh*t wawa midgrade gas in. Put some "heat" gas treatment in the tank. It help mine out from stalling but still a little bit of an idle problem. I just put another bottle in, we'll see how that works.
MrMrMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
MrMrMr
1993 ZJ 

Scratch that, still having that same problem. It starts right up when it's cold, but when it gets hot I can't change gears or turn the jeep off for a second with out it idling out and stalling.
Unread 06-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
onyx
1995 ZJ 

its weird ya I tried new gas. I run 93 oct. If i let her run for 30 mins she wont do it anymore. until the next time she cools and warms back up. cold shes fine. Im thinking an o2 or a map sensor. It couldnt be an intake manifold leak or something right? I dont think it would be. But who knows
onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
MrMrMr
1993 ZJ 

It's not vacuum leak, I know that for sure. I thinking maybe TPS.... Can anybody help us out?!?
Unread 06-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
RE2Master
1996 ZJ 

Possible problem fix

I am having the same issue with my Jeep (96 GC limited) I can drive it for days with no issue then suddenly BAM it dies while driving at normal speeds and sometimes starts righ tback up other times takes a while. It feels like running out of gas at times, chugs hard while dying then either picks up perfect or dies. I read on 4 other websites about 2 screws holding the cover to the PCM causing the problem (the ones directly under 2 of the connectors). It stated backing them out some and trying, or replacing with a longer screw and not fully tightening it. On all sites this fixed the problem and only cost at most $.50 from Lowes. I also think the fuel filter could be clogged so I will also change that on mine as it has 147K on it and im a recent owner so who knows if it has ever been changed. I hope this helps all of us!
RE2Master is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.