98 5.9 trans issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 5.9 trans issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
laredoFM212

98 5.9 trans issues

Hey guys and gals i just picked up a ninner and when i put it into reverse it makes a weird humming grinding noise it's hard to explain. and when i do put it into reverse it slowly rolls into R. and as for the forward hears it makes the same noise and once and a while if i give er it jumps out of gear and hit's the rev limiter. The jeep has no lights on once so ever

Could this be some where near or in the valve body?? my novice buds of mine thinks it could be the converter

laredoFM212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

First thing : Check the fluid level on the dipstick while running warm in neutral. These transmissions are very picky.

If it's not the fluid level it sounds like something internally is worn. How many miles?
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
laredoFM212

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
First thing : Check the fluid level on the dipstick while running warm in neutral. These transmissions are very picky.

If it's not the fluid level it sounds like something internally is worn. How many miles?
it looks really good and no burnt smell and yeah i know there anal i had 2 other ninners one i think blew every clutch disk possible lol smelt well toasted but this problem is new to me
Unread 11-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Hmm. Usually I would say replace the common Governor Pressure Sensor and Solenoid but there's no engine light and you said you can actually hear it making noise it's probably more then a sensor.
Unread 11-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
laredoFM212

Quote:
Hmm. Usually I would say replace the common Governor Pressure Sensor and Solenoid but there's no engine light and you said you can actually hear it making noise it's probably more then a sensor.
could be screwd up but no engine light. I just picked it up yesterday and looking it over it's deff never bin towed the middle of the hitch is really rotted lol but the rest is in super clean shape
Unread 11-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laredoFM212 View Post
could be screwd up but no engine light. I just picked it up yesterday and looking it over it's deff never bin towed the middle of the hitch is really rotted lol but the rest is in super clean shape
Have you actually put a scanner on it and seen if any codes are stored? Worth a try before you start tearing the transmission apart.

Couldn't hurt to drop the pan and check the filter and magnet for debris/damage.
Unread 11-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
laredoFM212

Quote:
Have you actually put a scanner on it and seen if any codes are stored? Worth a try before you start tearing the transmission apart.

Couldn't hurt to drop the pan and check the filter and magnet for debris/damage.
well the noise is comming from the converter could that make it act like it jump out of gear when it fails

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.