'98 5.9 with supercharger getting tracks; build #3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 08-18-2016, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
steiny93
1998 ZJ 

'98 5.9 with supercharger getting tracks; build #3

So I'm back at it building another tracked jeep!

I've been doing xj's so be gentle as I venture into the zj world. For reference here are links to my last two tracked xj builds.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...33/?highlight=
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...80/?highlight=

So why a zj? You've already done a few xj's, why switch?

Well....
I had already found my next xj to build, hyper sweet grey ride which the previous owner had already dropped in a pile of new bits (head / radiator / water pump / battery / alternator). Picked it up and its sitting at the shop waiting for the suspension adjusts to get the new tracks to fit (they arrived a couple weeks ago).

Here's a bad pick of grey beard the xj

Come on, come on... lets get to the zj part we've been promised!
Earlier this week I was bored and surfing the jeep for sale ads and stumble upon a mythical '98 5.9l.
Black on black (perfect ice color) and in pretty good shape. Then I find out it has been supercharged! At this point it just has to come home with me.

What could be more 'merica then a tracked jeep with a supercharger? My inner z28 driving mullet wearing self just couldn't resist

Here's a pic of the zj project

I'll be checking back as the project(s) progress. I'm planning on doing both conversions yet this summer/fall before winter hits.
Should be a blast!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 08-18-2016, 11:38 AM
TheJoe
2008 JK Wrangler 

Wow, this sounds awesome and fun! Can't wait to see more pics and write ups about this.
post #3 of 47 Old 08-18-2016, 12:43 PM
BorderWalker
1995 ZJ 

Garage
I wanna hear that 5.9 with Supercharger run. I bet it Purrrrrrrrs*

*Pending it works and everything was done right.

._________.ooooo.
/ŻŻŻ|ŻŻ|ŻŻ\ŻŻŻŻŻ\,____
L/ŻŻ\\__|__|"/ŻŻŻ\=llllll=\
_(Ż))===)).....(Ż))===))Ż

post #4 of 47 Old 08-18-2016, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
steiny93
1998 ZJ 

QUOTE=BorderWalker;36103417]I wanna hear that 5.9 with Supercharger run. I bet it Purrrrrrrrs*
*Pending it works and everything was done right.[/QUOTE]

I don't have a ton of experience with superchargers, pretty much all my experiences have been in the marine industry when it comes to air packers.
"I think" they (SCT) must have gotten this pretty close to right as it has managed to hold together for 130k miles. The dude had the intel as to when the charger was installed / who did it ect.

It has a nice rumble at idle and really screams when you add right foot; 20-50mph passes are crazy violent.
I'm a bit concerned at the amount of boost (8psi) and where the air/fuel ratio trends (~14 at idle then drops to 10's when on it). In my head I was thinking a mopar 360 should be more in the 12-14 range all the time, but maybe not, will need to dig a bit. My thinking is that they may be a bit light on the injectors, but not sure (and why screw with something that's been working for 18 years )

This weekend I'll be around it, going to do an oil/filter swap and plugs. I'll get a video of it and see if I can get some decent audio as well.
Hopefully i'll be able to roll the tracks under it and see how much suspension work it'll take to get a zj rocken the camoplasts as well.
post #5 of 47 Old 08-19-2016, 05:09 AM
jeepjeepster

Are you from ky? Or did you spell moorhead correctly and its not actually morehead?

1994 ZJ-I6 w/216,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/65,155 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/90,300 mi
post #6 of 47 Old 08-19-2016, 06:20 AM
chakkuchan
1995 ZJ 

How much do those tracks run? Seen some builds where guys made their own with snowmobile tracks and cheap rims. Would like to see tracks in mud or on rocks.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0
2006 BMW X5 4.8is
post #7 of 47 Old 08-19-2016, 07:33 AM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiny93 View Post
I'm a bit concerned at the amount of boost (8psi) and where the air/fuel ratio trends (~14 at idle then drops to 10's when on it). In my head I was thinking a mopar 360 should be more in the 12-14 range all the time, but maybe not, will need to dig a bit. My thinking is that they may be a bit light on the injectors, but not sure (and why screw with something that's been working for 18 years )
That sounds right. You can run idle and cruise at stoich or a bit leaner and it'll run fine, but with 8 psi and no intercooler you need to dump a bunch of fuel under boost to keep detonation at bay. I had a twin turbo car like that. Ran it at 11:1 under boost but IMS the 5.9 is a bit detonation prone.

If the injectors are capable of keeping it at 10:1 under boost they are plenty big.
post #8 of 47 Old 08-19-2016, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
steiny93
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster View Post
Are you from ky? Or did you spell moorhead correctly and its not actually morehead?
I'm in Moorhead MN
post #9 of 47 Old 08-19-2016, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
steiny93
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakkuchan View Post
How much do those tracks run? Seen some builds where guys made their own with snowmobile tracks and cheap rims. Would like to see tracks in mud or on rocks.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
A couple guys I know have been going the home built track route; from a materials perspective you get roughly 1/2 the cost of a purchased pair into a diy set (plus a lot of your time). Both of those guys have been plagued with mechanical failures as they work the issues out which makes sense.

I've been purchasing http://www.americantracktruck.com (horrible name but awesome product). You can get the base set for ~$10k shipped to your door. All my sets have been base plus a pile of the options (long tracks / studded tracks / deeper lugs / HD boggies / custom color / etc). So the price goes up depending on what you get.

$10k for vehicle tracks is hyper cheap, Mattracks for similar features get close to $40k. These systems are the bomb and I can't say enough positives about the company.
post #10 of 47 Old 08-19-2016, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
steiny93
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
That sounds right. You can run idle and cruise at stoich or a bit leaner and it'll run fine, but with 8 psi and no intercooler you need to dump a bunch of fuel under boost to keep detonation at bay. I had a twin turbo car like that. Ran it at 11:1 under boost but IMS the 5.9 is a bit detonation prone.

If the injectors are capable of keeping it at 10:1 under boost they are plenty big.
Thanks for the intel; I'll keep a eye on the exact numbers (boost / air-fuel) as I get some time in it this weekend.
post #11 of 47 Old 08-20-2016, 05:39 PM
b16gsr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

hell yes love your track builds following along.

1998 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 2 door
post #12 of 47 Old 08-23-2016, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
steiny93
1998 ZJ 

so put a couple miles on the jeep over the weekend and took it in for the rear bumper recall (got a sweet brand new receiver hitch out of the deal, thx's FCA!)

When its warmed up and you get into it; so long pulls with full boost; it gets as low as about 11 then levels off. Which seems to indicate its getting plenty of fuel. At idle and normal driving its in the 13-14 range once warmed up. (when its cold the ratio moves around a fair amount more)

Checked the fluids, changed the oil and checked the plugs. All seems to be good to go.

With any luck I'll be test fitting tracks this weekend to see how much height this zj is going to need
post #13 of 47 Old 08-23-2016, 10:53 AM
GOLDWING
1998 ZJ 

If you do a search for gift card on this site you can get info on a $100 gift card from Mopar for doing the hitch recall. It takes a couple of months to get, but worth the wait IMO.

GW

2 '98 4.0 ZJs
Hers is stock, mine, BB, Aussie, 2x6 sliders, 31s, etc.
post #14 of 47 Old 08-23-2016, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
steiny93
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWING View Post
If you do a search for gift card on this site you can get info on a $100 gift card from Mopar for doing the hitch recall. It takes a couple of months to get, but worth the wait IMO.

GW
I totally appreciate the heads up; but the dealer that did the work had the form all filled out awaiting my signature. Gonna use the $100 for a "free beer" weekend
post #15 of 47 Old 08-23-2016, 11:54 AM
BorderWalker
1995 ZJ 

Garage
Huh. I thought the recall hitches weren't giving out the gift cards anymore.

._________.ooooo.
/ŻŻŻ|ŻŻ|ŻŻ\ŻŻŻŻŻ\,____
L/ŻŻ\\__|__|"/ŻŻŻ\=llllll=\
_(Ż))===)).....(Ż))===))Ż

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.