98 5.2 Plenum Gasket Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 5.2 Plenum Gasket Replacement

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread Yesterday, 02:37 PM   #1
mudhawg93
1998 ZJ 

98 5.2 Plenum Gasket Replacement

Looks like my plenum gasket took a dump on me(not like I didn't see it coming), is it really worth it to spend the almost $200 on the hughes kit or am i better off just buying everything I need from my local parts store at the tune of about $61?

Does the hughes kit really THAT much to warrant the money spent?

mudhawg93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 02:53 PM   #2
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

That all depends on how long you want to keep the Jeep. The Hughes kit is an almost perfect solution to the problem. Using standard parts you will eventually have another gasket failure, it's a design flaw. Personally I'd love to just replace the entire intake with the Hughes intake and never have an issue again. But that's $600 my wife would not like me to spend.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 03:08 PM   #3
mudhawg93
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93 View Post
That all depends on how long you want to keep the Jeep. The Hughes kit is an almost perfect solution to the problem. Using standard parts you will eventually have another gasket failure, it's a design flaw. Personally I'd love to just replace the entire intake with the Hughes intake and never have an issue again. But that's $600 my wife would not like me to spend.
Well I plan on keeping the jeep for a long time, I would love to do the full intake as well.

The only issue is the 4 day or so wait to get the stuff from hughes and then waiting for 2 days off together lol

Sent from my S5 somewhere in the woods
mudhawg93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 03:22 PM   #4
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

There are ebay vendors that sell plates just as good as the hughes one. Then just buy the good set of fel pro gaskets and you're set.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/n...l#post23796778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 03:55 PM   #5
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

I recently got the hughes kit and replaced my plenum gasket and pan. The fact that it was an all in 1 solution was what sold me. All new gaskets, bolts, pan, everything needed to do the job without any trips to the parts store mid job.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 04:32 PM   #6
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

Save your money. I manufactured and sold plates until I read something over at the Dodge forum. The plenum bolts installed at the factory are too long and bottom out into the manifold before providing correct clamping force on the plate/gasket. Here is a pic that shows the bolt, bottomed out, without the plate---torqued to spec. Note that the space is about the thickness of the plate.
[IMG][/IMG]

All that needs to be done to fix the problem is grind a bit of the unthreaded portion off the ends of the plate bolts. Wipe both plate and manifold gasket contact surface with alcohol after thoroughly cleaning and coat both sides of your new gasket with black rtv. Done. Forever.

Don't believe the ridiculous 'dissimilar metals' theory, which cannot be proven. Sink your plate bolts into your manifold without the plate and see for yourself.
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 04:37 PM   #7
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Interesting. I have read that mopar changed the gasket design for the later engines which is why the plenum failure is less common on newer magnums. Maybe they also changed the length of the bolts?

The dissimilar metals do still play a part, they will expand and contract differently and without proper clamping force they will blow out the gasket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.