98 4.0 Timing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 4.0 Timing

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 11-16-2003, 08:08 AM   #1
smiley

98 4.0 Timing

Howdy All,

Well sadly my 97 was totaled two weeks ago when a guy two cars up from me paniced at the sound of a police siren, locked up his brakes as did the guy infront of me and POW!

Anyway, I just picked up a 98 4.0 ZJ and was doing some organ transplants from the 97 and while installing the Performance Distributors cap and rotor, 8mm plug wires, and new plugs the distributor cap screw snapped...what a drag! I had to remove the distributor and do some drilling and tapping to remove the old metal from the distributor. Well in my hurry to move onto the serpentine belt I forgot to mark the distributor and now...timing is way off.

What is the best way to solve this? Any quick tricks?

Smiley

smiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2003, 03:50 PM   #2
Harald

Smiley[/QUOTE]

Well Smiley, back to basics. Cam shaft rotates half speed of cranck shaft. Unscrew all spark pluggs. Rotate engine until you see alignement mark on pulley (whatever you call it) at bottom front of engine. Pistion on no 1 will now be at top. But you can't tell if it is on compression stroke or suchtion, unless you take off valve cover to see if both valves on cyl no 1 are closing. In other words, you can be 180 deg. wrong. If you start with plug cable to spark plug no 1 in this pos. where the rotor is pointing, and do the rest in correct order, the engine will run as normal. If it don't, just rotate all spark plug cables 180 degrees on distributor cap, and the engine will run. Then you need to time the egnition, so you will have correct advanced spark. If still in trouble, buy one of the excellent books on Jeep GC ( Haynes, Chilton or others). Good luck. This is not a very problematic exercise, more cylinders- increased difficulty.
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2003, 03:52 PM   #3
smiley

Harald,

Thanks for responding. I did all of the TDC stuff and was still off. I actually ended up taking it to the dealership and told the mechanics what was going on. It took them the better part of the day to figure out the problem since the ecu was throwing a number of fault codes.

It actually came down to a bad TPS sensor! Anyway the dealer only charged me for an hour of labor, and I already purchased a TPS sensor after having pulled the codes at autozone.
smiley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads
  • Timing - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (3 replies)
  • timing ? - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (2 replies)
  • Timing Belt - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (13 replies)
  • timing ??? - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (3 replies)
  • Timing - ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (1 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.