98 4.0 motor mount replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 4.0 motor mount replacement

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 09-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

98 4.0 motor mount replacement

Replaced my mounts in prep of doing the manifold/header work. First thing was to remove the airbox. 3-13mm bolts. They have nuts on the other side so don't let them get away from you. Then remove the steering box cover which is 1-13mm nut.

mounts2-001rs.jpg mounts2-002rs.jpg

You can see the upper mount to frame bolts, and now have a little more room to move around. But first jack the motor up just a bit to support it. I used a 6x6 block underneath the deep part of the pan but clear of the raised portion for the drain plug. The mount rear upper bolt is obstructed by the steering shaft and I used a crow foot to break it loose and a cocked socket to remove it. All mount to frame bolts are 15mm. The lower sill bolts are easy to remove with standard stuff. I put some penetrant on the 18mm mount through bolt and removed it. I played around with the jack until I had the least amount of tension on the bolt and tapped it out with a rubber mallet as far as it would go, then used a long extension against the head of the bolt to drive it the rest of the way out. I used a small pry bar to break the mount loose.

Getting it out of there was kinda a pain and I wound up taking the fuel line support brackett off the manifold for wiggle room to get it up and over enough to bring it out above the vehicle end of the upper control arm.

mounts2-003rs.jpg mounts2-004rs.jpg

mounts2-005rs.jpg mounts2-006rs.jpg

mounts2-010rs.jpg mounts2-011rs.jpg

mounts2-014rs.jpg

Unread 09-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Continuation. Once the old one was out it looked pretty bad, compressed and cracked. The exhaust leak probaly had taken its toll also. I will make a heat shield when the new exhaust goes in. Compared to the new one there was quite a difference. The new mount bottom mounting points looked different but it made no difference. Install all the bolts loosely as they will get torqued down once the weight is on both mounts. I had to raise the motor another 1/2 inch to get the through bolt back in. Install the fuel line brackett.
mounts2-018rs.jpg mounts2-019rs.jpg

mounts2-020rs.jpg

The right side was alot easier. Taking the 18mm through bolt out was easier to do from the bottom. The 4 15mm bolts for the mount were easier too except the bottom bolt closets to the firewall wanted to get trapped. So I used a flex ratchet wrench to get it out. I guess cause I had raised the motor 1/2 inch on the other side the through bolt just pulled right out without coaxing. The mount came out between the rubber discharge and suction lines. This side didn't look as bad as the left side but it needed to go. Install mopar mount#52058502 back in the same way. Install the bolts loosely until the jack is gone. I final tightened the bolts in this sequence, lower mount bolts, upper mount bolts, through bolt. Tighten all mount bolts to 48ft lbs.and the through bolt to 89ft lbs and you are good to go.

mounts3-005rs.jpg mounts3-006rs.jpg

mounts3-008rs.jpg mounts3-009rs.jpg

mounts3-010rs.jpg

After the trans and motor mounts were installed I noticed a good deal of elemination of in cab vibrations. Was definately worth the work.
Unread 09-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Great write up, coralman !
This repair is on my list, so your write up will be especially helpful and save time. Thanks !

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

YW Oldfrog! I just do these to rake in the millions for technical writing .
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Real nice write-up coralman and great photos too! I'm sure in just turning over 200K my mounts could use replaced too!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2013, 04:14 AM   #6
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Millions, I tell ya !

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

really need to do this, just dreading it haha. Great write up!
Unread 05-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #8
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

On my 93 4.0L, you have to remove the oil filter adapter to get the passenger side through-bolt out. Fortunately, I have an early 93 (actually built in mid-92) which uses a standard 16mm hex head on the filter adapter bolt.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 03:59 PM   #9
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the addition AV!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.