98 4.0 5.2 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 98 4.0 5.2 swap

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
KDStewart
1998 ZJ 

98 4.0 5.2 swap

I have a 98 laredo with the 4.0 in it. I've found a guy with a 97 5.2 that has been wrecked in the rear end that he is selling for 400 bucks. Assuming that the v8 and is in good condition, how hard would it be to swap it into my jeep? What all would I have to do in order for it to work? Everything I've found on here is just people bickering over whether or not to stroke out the 4.0 or swapping in a dodge engine. Thanks

KDStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

It should be pretty straight forward since you'll have the engine, trans, mounts, wiring harnesses and ECU.

Your biggest issue may be that you're putting an older engine into a newer vehicle. Depending on your local emissions laws that may be a no-no, so I would look into before going any further.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

everything needs to be swapped over. motor, trans, wiring, exhaust, etc. alot of work. but if youre hell bent on doing it, it can be done. personally i would just find a good one with a 5.2 already in it.
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
KDStewart
1998 ZJ 

Well, my trans is gettin ready to bite the bullet anyway, my exhaust has leaks, and there are a bunch of other things that could be fixed a lot easier with the engine out. I just figured that if it was as straight forward as, taking old out and putting new in, it would probably be worth it since I'm going to end up doing it one piece at a time anyway. As far as emissions go, I live in rural Kansas where apparently your neighbor can't be gay but you can single handedly ruin the environment and get a high five, so I don't think it will be an issue. I would love to find a good 5.2 but everyone around here is trying to get rich off of craigslist so they aren't cheap and I don't have the money to drive 300 miles in any direction to go look at a vehicle. I haven't bought anything and I have other things to pay for before I could consider buying the wrecked jeep but I'd like to know as much as I can before I spend the money on it.
Unread 07-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
LunaMoona
1993 ZJ 

It's a lot more effort than you think. Remember, it's not going to be just a motor swap. You are going to have to swap out the motor, transmission, exhaust, ECU, TCM, both axles if you want 3.73 gears, motor mounts, transmission mounts, etc. It's better to just find a jeep with a 318 in it already.
LunaMoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
KDStewart
1998 ZJ 

Yea, that's what the other two said. There are no cheap 5.2's around here and I already have 3.73 gears. I willing to put in the work, I'm mostly concerned with how to do it

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.