97 Zj Whining Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 97 Zj Whining Noise

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-28-2002, 09:34 PM   #1
JAYMAN97ZJ

97 Zj Whining Noise

I HAVE A LOUD WHINING NOISE THAT SOUNDS LIKE ITS FROM THE REAR. IT ONLY DOES IT UNDER ACCELERATION UNDER ANY SPEED. PERFECTLY QUIET WHEN OFF THE GAS. THE LOCAL SO CALLED FIVE STAR DEALER REPLACED EVERYTHING BUT THE PINION IN THE REAR WHICH CLEARED UP ANOTHER GRINDING SOUND, BUT NOT THE HIGH PITCH WHINE. I BROUGHT IT BACK TO THEM AND THEY SAID IT SOUNDS AS GOOD AS NEW. I DONT BUY IT. ANY HELP APPRECIATED. ITS A 4.0, 4X4 WITH 54,000 MILES

THANKS

JAYMAN97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2002, 10:27 PM   #2
Beachead19

Could be normal Jeep drivetrain whine. Most ZJ's that I have been in have had it. Mine has it
Kolak Ignition
-----------------------------------------
Beachead19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2002, 06:06 AM   #3
whitebomber

I've got a '97 ZJ and it's undoubtly the loudest vehicle I've ever owned. Not that it makes it undriveable but when you buy one used it does give concern.

I initially had mine to the dealer a number of times and it was always the same, sounds normal. I even drove a few others from used car lots just to hear that it sounded the same.

What finally put me at ease was when my neighbor pulled in with his "new to him" 2000 WJ. We went for ride and if I closed my eyes (I wasn't driving ) I would have thought I was in my '97.

Go drive a few used models like yours and you will probably hear the same noise.
'90/'91 4dr Montero's - gone but not forgotten

Impulse eliminates planning ... that's a good thing
whitebomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2002, 01:56 PM   #4
Hank

I've heard othe grands that make a whining sound so I woulnd't be too worried.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.