97 zj water pump replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 97 zj water pump replacement

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
bkarm
1996 XJ Cherokee 

97 zj water pump replacement

Need Halp! my brother brother bought a 97 ZJ 5.2L about 2 weeks ago and his water pump just went.. i have a '96 XJ and know nothing about ZJ's really.. anyone have any tips or how-to's for replacing the pump? thanks much

Unread 11-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

If you cant get a field service manual quickly, I suggest using a Hayes manual for a water pump. It's pretty easy so Hayes is Ok for that job. Just make sure to get the gasket surfaces clean and dont gouge them with anything. Tighten the bolts in the order that the manual suggests to the proper torque. You'll be fine. Just take your time and buy the correct water pump. Might as well change the hoses and thermostat while you're at it.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 03:43 AM   #3
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Changing the little bypass hose should be considered a must when doing the water pump on a 5.2. It's not fun doing it later.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
bkarm
1996 XJ Cherokee 

no time to wait for a service manual... it is what it is tho wel make do with what we have. thanks much!
Unread 11-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Eds97ZJ

Did this 2 months ago. Disconnect battery. Did not use manuals. Yes, make sure you clean surface good. I used paint stripper then scraped n sanded lightly with 80 grit then cleaned with brake cleaner spray. You have to remove alt A/C pump bracket to do it right. Yes, replace thermostat n bypass hose n any hoses that are suspect. I got my water pump from NAPA. The steel line that came with it was for Dodge. Luckily mine was in good shape so reused it. Make sure you get w/p bolts in right spots. Best way is to lay them out how you remove them or better yet put them back in old pump, same with Alt brakt. If your belt tensioner is old now's good time to replace that too. Let me know if you have questions.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.