97 ZJ stock fog wires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 97 ZJ stock fog wires

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 12-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
divadro102
1997 ZJ 

97 ZJ stock fog wires

Hello, I looked thoroughly for what im about to ask but wasnt able to find anything. Most was how to install fog lights or remove them, make holes in bumper, etc...

I ordered stock headlamps and fogs from a local 4x4 shop and they arrived today. The headlamp assembly was easy except that i stumbled on a cracked grill and smashed front frame. Always had a feeling the jeep had been crashed before but never took off the bumper till today.

Anyways the old fogs came off easy and the new ones were exact. The passenger went in and i plugged the wires from the fog to the ones that come from the car itself. I heard a click and moved to the driver side. It goes in easy but the wires dont click. I thought i probably broke off a piece but i connected the old one again and it clicked. The new one wont lock in and it slides off easily. It turns on but if the car rattles it'll come off, so i cant have that.

Again i searched the forum but found nothing unless i overlooked something. I assume the threads about new fogs and wire harness would work but im not really looking for changing wires if the old fog happens to work. I'd keep it but it's clouded and the old passenger side burned out a while back. An exchange of wires is my last resort.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you very much!

divadro102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

I'd take a real good look at the connector on the new lamp, there's probably a small bit of plastic from when they made the part, still there. Also check that the the retainer part of the new lamp is ok, and not broken.
Other than that, maybe try pushing the connectors together a little harder, it may not be engaging far enough into the socket to lock.
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

If connector is broke 2 options zip tie it together or cut the connector off and splice the wires together
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 03:53 AM   #4
divadro102
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR-Swimmer View Post
I'd take a real good look at the connector on the new lamp, there's probably a small bit of plastic from when they made the part, still there. Also check that the the retainer part of the new lamp is ok, and not broken.
Other than that, maybe try pushing the connectors together a little harder, it may not be engaging far enough into the socket to lock.
Both old and new are identical, nothing seems to have been left on and everything seems intact. My old cables from the lamps are loose, but the new cable and the ones attached to the car are rigid. I tried really hard to push it in, but it doesn't "click". Again i did the old one, and it just goes in smoothly and quickly.

Also, the connector base has the top clip as well as two clips by the side. Both are intact on the new one and really what does go "click" is the top portion. I figured the clip is probably missing a wedge that locks but it's smooth just like the old one. I really have no idea how it locks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squazz View Post
If connector is broke 2 options zip tie it together or cut the connector off and splice the wires together
Can i really splice them together? The connector isn't at all necessary?
Unread 12-08-2011, 04:13 AM   #5
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

You could just splice the wires together, but I'd recommend cutting both connectors off,(of the lamps) and splicing the new lamp to the old connecter that does work.
That way you would retain the "quick connect option", if you want to take your bumper off for any reason, it would probably be less prone to coming apart using the proper connections, while you're driving, And, if you ever need to replace that fog lamp in the future, you will still have the right connector on the Jeep.
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
divadro102
1997 ZJ 

Got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR-Swimmer View Post
You could just splice the wires together, but I'd recommend cutting both connectors off,(of the lamps) and splicing the new lamp to the old connecter that does work.
That way you would retain the "quick connect option", if you want to take your bumper off for any reason, it would probably be less prone to coming apart using the proper connections, while you're driving, And, if you ever need to replace that fog lamp in the future, you will still have the right connector on the Jeep.
That splice of the wires seems like the right thing to do. But i've alreayd managed to connect them.

Ok, what i noticed is that the old connector has some plastic covering inside but it's thin. The new one has the same plastic thing but a bit thicker. My dad took out this plastic from the new one and it locked. He put it back in and it didn't lock. So the problem is with that plastic covering. I'm not sure what it does. It seems like an insulator but the way the connection is, water would be hard to pass through; if that's the purpose of that plastic. So right now it's snug and working. Thanks guys
Unread 12-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

I kept the original plugs on the Jeep, they're strong and water sealed. Removed the wiring pigtails from the old stock lamps, then installed them in place of the the new lamp wiring. Nothing hacked or spliced.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.