97 zj, separating the door panels...??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 97 zj, separating the door panels...???

8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for JeepsPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 09-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Insane_Jeep
1997 ZJ 

97 zj, separating the door panels...???

alright, don't know if i just can't get the keywords right or if no one has really posted on this.

i'm going wanting/going to take the top portion of the door panel, heat has made it peal away from the top (previous owner also chewed the arm rest portion i think too), and recover it with vinyl and some foam backing.

has anyone any tips or walk through doing this?

if not, would anyone like me to take pics and show what i end up doing and end results?

Insane_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Why not just get a replacment at the jy im sure there really cheap.
Unread 09-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
jorhay
1997 ZJ 

I'd love to see pics/write up. My front passenger door panel is getting really bad. It has crossed my mind to try and replace the vinyl.
jorhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
ChopperX
1997 ZJ 

I have this issue as well on both my door panels. My passenger side is peeling quite badly.

I was told one method is to remove it and reseal it with new glue/adhesive. I have no idea how to do this and if I have to guess it would probably involve removing the panel off the door and maybe that will expose the rear side of the vinyl.

I could be wrong so I would also like some help in this matter.
ChopperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

There is a TSB for the door panels. I'm sure you'd get charged through the roof for the replacement parts from the dealership, and I've tried looking elsewhere and been unsuccessful. But you might want to give it a shot.

More info on another jeepforum.com thread

TSB on jeeps unlimited
RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 12:35 AM   #6
gmtech22
1998 ZJ 

On the backside of the door panel, cut the plastic rivet heads off flush with a razor blade or something similar but don't drill them out. You can re-attach the armrest panel using short screws in the rivet holes. Also try your best not to remove any of the foam cushioning of the armrest when you peel off the old vinyl, because this is what gives it its shape. If yours is like mine was, the foam was already messed up from where the original vinyl cracked and pretty much SOL on using it. If you try to apply vinyl over the messed up foam you will feel and see all the imperfections.
gmtech22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 04:52 AM   #7
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Heres where I did something along the lines.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/b...-pics-1229778/

I know I have a bolster kit but I don't remember for what door in agate. I'll check later.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Why not just swap over the whole pannel coral? I saw now difference in the bolsters.
Unread 09-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

I was having problems finding decent 5.9 panels. The leather would be good but the upper panel would always be faded. I found some non faded regular laredo panels and swapped in the 5.9 bolsters.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #10
Insane_Jeep
1997 ZJ 

ok, so i'll to you all this much, finally had time to finish up one door panel. serveral things to note, first and foremost, DO NOT TRY THIS UNLESS YOU ARE AMAZING at interiors...

i took lots of pictures along the way but unless you just want me to shame myself (or if they would help you) i won't post them up...

taking them apart wasn't bad at all, i couldn't cut them, and didn't want to drill, but a large flat edge screw driver did the trick pretty quick.

the problem comes from not having the correct material and a way to vacuum seal/form the material onto all those curves around the arm rest...

its an improvement from my old door panel, but only because now it doesn't leave marks on my arm...but looks wise, i guess i'll just put up with it until i can either find a good deal at a part-out or JY door panels that i can swap around
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

I'd like some pictures if you don't mind. I tried contact cementing mine months ago and it held for a month then pulled apart again, so I'm looking for a change.
RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #12
gmtech22
1998 ZJ 

Don't feel bad I tried to upholster my own as well and had the same issue trying to make it form to the original shape. I'm no interior man that is for sure. On the plus side though, I did use a generous amount of padding underneath so the armrest is more comfortable now
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

im pretty sure a heat gun will help in forming it.
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #14
gmtech22
1998 ZJ 

Yea I just suck at working with vinyl or fabrics in general really. Couldn't really figure out the whole stretch around curves deal. It does look like the original foam and vinyl were somehow attached with a vacuum technique
Unread 09-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #15
Insane_Jeep
1997 ZJ 

Ill post some pics tonight when im near the computer

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.