97 ZJ infiniti sound system f**ked - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 97 ZJ infiniti sound system f**ked

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
The Jug
1997 ZJ 

97 ZJ infiniti sound system f**ked

I've posted this thread before but I've tried everything and I'm out of ideas. I've got a stock stereo setup with a pioneer deck (had an alpine deck and thought that might be the problem but it wasn't). The sound coming out of the speakers is very low and not sounding right at all (I have compared it to buying 1" speakers from wal mart and playing music through it). I have changed the deck (as I said), swapped out infiniti stock amp, checked the ground to see if it was looses, and I heard the speakers might be "grounding out" (a nick in the speaker wire and its touching ground) and disconnected 1 speaker at a time to see if it was. And i still have the same problem. I'm still not convinced that all 4 speakers plus the 2 tweeters blew out at the same time so does anyone have any ideas???

The Jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

remove 1 speaker at a time and figure out how to check them with something other than the system in you jeep. If they all work check all the wires really well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Have you tried using the stock head unit.

From what i understand, if you want to use an aftermarket head unit on a previous infinity system, the infinity amp must be bypassed, if not you get your symptom.

If you have the stock stereo unit, i would swap that in quick and if everything sounds normal, i would bypass the amp.
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

From what i understand, if you want to use an aftermarket head unit on a previous infinity system, the infinity amp must be bypassed, if not you get your symptom.

Negative. Ive got the same Jeep as he and have had 2 Sonys, the current one still operating w/ stock amp.
rooster51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
Some_Anchovies
1995 ZJ 

you can't be using the stock infinity amp, unless it has RCA inputs so that you can run some signal cables from a preamp on your head Unit to the amp. Otherwise, you're going to have to run the speaker cables directly from speaker to the wiring harness on your Head Unit.

Have pics?
Some_Anchovies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

Was there when I bought it, but I know its stock cuz its the exact same as my previous 97ZJ.
Wont be home till tomorrow night, Ill post picks then.
And BestBuy did both of my installs, if theres rca jacks in it, I havent seen them and are unaware of them.
rooster51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Well, you can use the Infinity amp, but it will likely cause impedance issues as the head unit and the amp have different specs. If you need a wiring diagram, I think I've still got one on my computer somewhere, or I might have a link. It's not difficult to bypass, but you'll definitely want to make sure you get everything correct. Without testing the wires like a stereo installation shop would, you can cause some damage if you get anything spliced wrong. I haven't had any issues myself. I've also been in Jeeps where the amp wasn't bypassed, and an after market HU and speakers worked fine. So it can work. I just imagine it can also not work just as often, perhaps even being the cause of the Infinity amp's failure. It might blow the thing for all I know.

Also, I believe the Infinity amp crosses over frequencies to give more bass to the front speakers. This might not be true, but I've read it via various sources.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"

Last edited by SnowLeopard; 05-17-2009 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: Typos are not my friends.
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
Some_Anchovies
1995 ZJ 

Rooster, i was actually talking to The Jug lol, my bad.

and Snow, there won't be impedance issues if it were through signal cable, and not power cable. the preamps would send a signal at a certain voltage (my preamps send out high voltage, at 4 volts) and you would adjust the input signal (gain) on the amp to match the input voltage.

Where there would be a problem is if he hooked it up to his HU directly, and the impedance of the stock infinities were 2 ohms, and the HU was only stable at 4. He'd draw twice the power the head unit was designed to put out, and thus kill his HU at any decent volume.

Does the infinity amp have a control for the input voltage (gain)? I don't know cause I don't have the infinity system.
Some_Anchovies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Anchovies, no, no. The Infinity amp takes in the Infinity HU's actual power output and amplifies the signal from there. It might have a converter or something built in, but from what I can tell, I don't think it does. So since it's outputting 2ohm, and any HU you install will output 4ohm to the amp, it can cause problems. "Can" however does not mean will. There are no pre-amp inputs for the Infinity amp. Don't ask me why they did it this way.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
comishcraig
1997 ZJ 

Just run new speaker wires directly from the head unit and bypass everything from the old Infiniti system. A modern head unit probably has enough power to run them without an amp.
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 - Mountain fun Vehicle
1996 Kawasaki 750ss - Lake fun
1996 Kawasaki 750xi - More lake fun
comishcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #11
Heather47441
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hey, I seen that you had bypassed your internal amp. If you have a wiring diagram for that I would be very greatful. I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee and when I got it the amp was fried. Radio and everything still came just not sound. I had heard it could be done but have searching for a few months to find a diagram. If you can help me out please let me know. Thank you.
Heather47441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #12
ZooTech
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather47441 View Post
Hey, I seen that you had bypassed your internal amp. If you have a wiring diagram for that I would be very greatful. I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee and when I got it the amp was fried. Radio and everything still came just not sound. I had heard it could be done but have searching for a few months to find a diagram. If you can help me out please let me know. Thank you.
Look under the left passenger seat and you should see the amp there. Unplug the two large molex connectors and use the diagram below to make your splices (example => VT, which is RF+ from the stereo, should be spliced to LB/RD which is RF+ from the amp).

~ Rough Country Nitro 9000 shocks
~ 31x10.5x15 Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers
~ 15x8 black Unique wheels
ZooTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 10:23 PM   #13
Travis873o
1996 ZJ 

on some head units you can turn off the internal deck amp. (for external amp purposes) try that.
Travis873o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 10:39 PM   #14
Chris93zj
1993 ZJ 

Your issue is extremely unlikely to have been caused by the radio you put in. If anything, you're going to have more control before amplifying (bass/treble/HPF's). By the sound of it, I'd guess you have an issue with the amp itself. Doing the bypass will eliminate that part of the picture. Otherwise, if you don't want to void your lifetime install from BBY, go in and have them do the bypass for you. Should be less than a half hour's charge to do so, especially if you have these diagrams for the tech to test off of. We have a specific sku to do the bypasses.
Chris93zj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.