JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   97 ZJ Chirping noise (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/97-zj-chirping-noise-1684977/)

bunk02 10-14-2013 06:39 PM

97 ZJ Chirping noise

OK, 1st thing's 1st.... 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ 5.2L. I started noticing a chirping noise about 1 1/2 months ago when I started Jeep up; it wouldn't last long, in fact after driving a few minutes it was gone. Well it progressively got worse; a local shop said replace tensioner pulley and idler pulley. Did them both and no change. A buddy said take a close look at the belt to look for anything on it; sure enough there was a small streak (less than an inch) of some type of gummy residue. I sprayed it with brake clean until it was cleaned off....noise went away, for a few days then returned. So I went ahead and replaced the belt itself (Dayco sadly), the chirp went away for about a week then returned. Since then it has progressively gotten worse; it usually chirps-squeaks at slow acceleration, sometimes at idle. At hard acceleration it goes away; now it takes about 20+ minutes of driving before it "wears in" and stops completely. I've tried spraying a little penetrating fluid behind the A/C pulley, no change; sprayed a little behind Power Steering pulley, no change.

I have read several things...possibly a misaligned pulley, possibly a bad tensioner itself, possibly just going from a cheap Dayco belt to a new cheap Dayco belt. Anyone have any dumbed down suggestions and/or tests I can try?

Oldfrog 10-14-2013 11:51 PM

First thing, I'd throw away that Dayco belt and install a Gates, then tighten the heck out of it. I bet it solves your issue.

coralman 10-15-2013 04:55 AM

Positive it is coming from the belt area?

bunk02 10-15-2013 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldfrog (Post 16846529)
First thing, I'd throw away that Dayco belt and install a Gates, then tighten the heck out of it. I bet it solves your issue.

I ordered a Gatorback from Rock Auto (no one local sells them) so I plan on installing that. As far as tightening it, the tensioner automatically tightens, not sure how to tighten any more than that

bunk02 10-15-2013 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coralman (Post 16847665)
Positive it is coming from the belt area?

Pretty sure, I mean what else could it be that the noise went away for a few days when I cleaned the old belt, then again when I switched to a new belt ?

newfieZJ 10-15-2013 05:05 AM

Remove tensionor (can be tried while on too), spray it down with a lubricant , work it back and forth . This will make it as good as new . Install tensionor , and buy a new belt . Problem solved . Been there before .

Jeeples 10-15-2013 09:00 AM

Did they replace just the tensioner pulley or the whole tensioner at the shop? It could be that the spring in the tensioner is weak and not keeping the proper tension on the belt. I would try what newfie suggested first and if the problem persists, replace the tensioner.

bunk02 10-15-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeples (Post 16852169)
Did they replace just the tensioner pulley or the whole tensioner at the shop? It could be that the spring in the tensioner is weak and not keeping the proper tension on the belt. I would try what newfie suggested first and if the problem persists, replace the tensioner.

They actually suggested the pulleys, I changed the idler and tensioner pulley, only the pulley.

Jeeples 10-15-2013 01:22 PM

I'd probably just go ahead and replace tensioner then, especially if you don't know when it was replaced last.

zjosh93 10-15-2013 01:50 PM

In addition to the above advice: Might also have a look at your alternator, AC, and PS bearings. I know you said you sprayed the back of the AC and PS pulleys with lube but I know from having taken both mine apart (4.0) that the bearings aren't easy to hit with spray lube. Take the belt off and spin each by hand to check for roughness and binding in the bearings. While you have the belt off use a hook pick tool to clean the grooves on all the grooved pulleys. Dirt can pack in there and lift the belt up so it squeaks. Take a look at your harmonic balancer too. If the elastomer is beginning to separate it can squeak a bit.

bunk02 10-15-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zjosh93 (Post 16860321)
In addition to the above advice: Might also have a look at your alternator, AC, and PS bearings. I know you said you sprayed the back of the AC and PS pulleys with lube but I know from having taken both mine apart (4.0) that the bearings aren't easy to hit with spray lube. Take the belt off and spin each by hand to check for roughness and binding in the bearings. While you have the belt off use a hook pick tool to clean the grooves on all the grooved pulleys. Dirt can pack in there and lift the belt up so it squeaks. Take a look at your harmonic balancer too. If the elastomer is beginning to separate it can squeak a bit.

The guy at teh shop I took it to took off teh belt and spun/listened to the pulleys, he said they all seemed tight.

bunk02 10-15-2013 01:55 PM

I noticed last night that there was some power steering fluid around the top of the resevoir; I cleaned it all real good with brake clean and a rag and let it sit over night. This morning it started up and no chirp; after driving a short distance (5 minutes) it got a little chirp. I popped the hood and there seemed to be fluid around the resevoir cap again; I did not clean it this time, I am going to drive it some more and then recheck to see if there is a substantial amount of fluid appearing. I'm thinking that the cap itself may be leaking and need replaced. Thoughts??????

bunk02 11-15-2013 07:06 PM

1 month later, with a new power steer fluid reservoir and a Gator Back belt the noise has.....knock on wood.....gone bye bye

The time now is 08:29 PM.