'97 ZJ a/c accumulator switch jumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > '97 ZJ a/c accumulator switch jumper

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
technophat
1997 ZJ 

'97 ZJ a/c accumulator switch jumper

I thought this may be helpful to someone.
To bypass the accumulator switch and run the compressor at 100%, simply remove the disconnect from the accumulator, crimp two male elec connector guys on a short piece of wire, and insert. This bypasses the accumulator switch and runs the compressor without cycling. This can help to troubleshoot or stabilize pressure to fill a system too low on refrigerant for the compressor to engage aka short cycling.

Accumulator with compressor switch

Homemade Jumper

Jumper bypassing accumulator switch

Last edited by technophat; 06-05-2011 at 11:46 AM..
technophat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
MaintMech
Old, and in the way.

1996 ZJ 

Thanks, useful info!

I fought Oracle and Oracle won!
MaintMech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
classicmetalman

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
tallears
1998 ZJ 

I don't get it, why would you need to bypass the accumulator to put more refrig. into the system. I thought the accumulators only job was to store possible water vapor that sometimes gets into the system...
tallears is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
technophat
1997 ZJ 

If the a/c system is too low on refrigerant, the compressor will short-cycle (turn on and off every several seconds) or possibly not turn on at all. How exactly this works, I have no idea, but using the jumper to bypass the accumulator switch will run the compressor (the compressor clutch) at 100% so a reading can be made from the low side schrader valve.
Unread 06-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
tallears
1998 ZJ 

ok thanks for the new info, i just got done replacing my a/c compressor, accumulator, a/c condenser, radiator, clutch fan, water pump(a few times) etc etc...And the air works pretty darn good for a 13 year old. Not great but very good.. The only parts I really will need to replace one day our the ones under the dash (help me out here I'm having a brain cramp, can't remember there names) anyway I have alldata for that..and I'm not looking forward to replacing them (under the dash and all, need to remove a lot of stuff), but I know thats the only way to bring the system back to like new, next time I have that clutch problem I'll give your trick a try, because I have no fear of such things...it's air on, or new car..so I choose to repair repair repair..
tallears is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
technophat
1997 ZJ 

...the evaporator should be the last part, and the most difficult to access. A small price to pay for ZJ bliss lol
Unread 07-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #8
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

Just used this trick, and it didn't work, at first. Apparently, my clutch had become a bit sticky.

I did notice that when I jumpered the compressor clutch too, it would pull in a wee bit, but not nearly enough to drive the compressor. I poked it with a stick while the engine was running and it engaged right away, but it would not turn on again by itself.

Then I maced it with some spray lube, and it seems to be working OK. I hope that just using the recharged system will get it engaging reliably again.

So, point is, thanks for the tip about the accumulator bypass, it got me going again too!
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #9
technophat
1997 ZJ 

Thanx for the feedback. Glad to help
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
Mad-Duke
1997 ZJ 

Thanks!
Mad-Duke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.