97 ZJ Belt Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 97 ZJ Belt Problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
ZJ5280

97 ZJ Belt Problem

Alright folks I cant find the problem on the ZJ. Stock 4.0 with the bad design (IMO) tension adjuster, long bolt through idler pulley. The belt keeps coming off and wedging itself behind the water pump pulley. I checked all alignment and all pulleys for wobble/loose etc. All seem OK. The part where I am stumped is it only happens when motor is shut off. I can fix it drive 1000 miles no problem then every third or fourth time the I shut it off it slips behind the water pump pulley. And only behind it stays put on everything else. What the heck!!!

ZJ5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

How does the belt look on the pulleys before it get thrown? Is it riding right on the edge of the w/p? Hating the tensioner design is ok, but if it was the design itself then a lot of us would be having this problem, you either have something bent, or out of line.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
ZJ5280

Like I said everything looks good when on everything, I will have to say the belt is a little to close to the back edge of the wp pulley. Visually everything runs good lined up and everything. It only slips off when I shut off the motor. Running will stay on all day long.
ZJ5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

take pictures... might try videoing it when shutting it off also

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
LouC
2007 WK 

The problem is not the tension adjuster but most likely one of the pulleys is mis-aligned. Look at the vibration damper on the crank pulley, when they wear out the rubber piece fails and lets the part that the belt runs on slide in or out. Mine was starting to do something similar and it was definitely the vibration damper.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.