97 ZJ 5.2L Mystery Electrical/Alarm Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 97 ZJ 5.2L Mystery Electrical/Alarm Issue

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
CndJeeperT
1998 ZJ 

97 ZJ 5.2L Mystery Electrical/Alarm Issue

Hello!!!
I'm new here. I'd like some HELP please. I bought this old ZJ to be my winter beast. Been replacing all the logical things to make sure she doesn't break down on me in the harsh winter condition to which I will expose her.

My issue is this, I replaced the battery with a new one and removed every single fuse and inspected them then put them back. When I went to fire up the engine she started but my headlights are flashing and I believe my hazard lights are too.
I tried googling this issue and other have had similar issues but their jeeps wouldn't start and I believe all they had to do was use the key in the passengers door.
I've tried this and using my fob to lock and unlock the doors but nothing has worked.

How can I reset the system so I can get it back to normal?

Thanks a lot!

CndJeeperT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Welcome to the forum! Do everybody a favor and fill out your Jeep information/profile on the left to help us help you.

Unlock the rear hatch and front passenger door with they key, not the fob. If that doesn't work, unhook the battery for a short time and it will reset the security system. If you don't want the security system, you can ground the purple tracer wire with the white stripe.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
silent35
1997 ZJ 

its probly one of your door alarm switches breakign off, its a known problem.
silent35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
Shanebear
1994 ZJ 

I have to unlock then lock the hatch twice for the alarm to disable. I f*cking hate the alarm, mine goes off at random
Shanebear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
CndJeeperT
1998 ZJ 

Thanks a lot Fellas. Before checking back here I went to my local parts store where I asked the same question and the guy told me all I had to do was:
Turn the ignition on/off 3 times and the flashing lights condition should go away. It did.

Before doing that I made sure that all the doors were closed. Then used the fob to lock and unlock the doors. Opened the drivers door, closed it after me turned the ignition and boom she was purring.

I really appreciate the help. Thanks again!

@JasonStennibs, I will certainly fill out all that info ASAP. At the time I was stuck and had to get the vehicle moved so it wasn't a priority.
CndJeeperT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The factory alarm system will arm if you have the key out of the ignition and lock the doors with the power locks switch or the key fob. Opening any door will trigger it if it is armed. To disarm, turn a key in any exterior door key lock or unlock with the key fob. At least this is how it works when new. Door key switches tend to quit working, however.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
5.2 , alarm system , battery issue , electrical problem , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.