97 ZJ with 42RE cracked case, will WJ 42re work? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 97 ZJ with 42RE cracked case, will WJ 42re work?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 10-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #16
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_ZJames View Post
In the Dodge's, the PCM programming was different between between the two different styles, the values the sensor picked up are different and would also use the solenoids to control the pressures different. You could connect the plug on the transmission on an older truck, but would cause it to go into limp mode if it had the newer sensor/solenoid in it.

Searching for the 42re valve body, it comes up with only two different versions. One with the old style electronics and one with the new style, all internal parts are the same.
they have different springs, separator plates, and switch valves. any good shift kit for "all years" includes parts specifically for the different valve bodies. there were at least 3 revisions during the zj years.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #17
azvinnie
1948 CJ2A 

Thank you all. This is really great info.

So would a new trans case with the old valve body/sensor work? I haven't seen the inside of an electronic trans so I don't know if it's possible... last auto trans I rebuilt was a 727 in the early 80s.

unfortunately the 97 does not have a flashable ECM so it sounds like the other option would be some sort of aftermarket TCM (ie megashift. see http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/index.html for those that don't know what I'm talking about).

Thanks again. Great info!
azvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #18
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

If the valve body is the only difference in a WJ 42re, use the valve body from your current transmission after you've installed a Superior, Fairbanks, Transgo, or Sonnax shift kit. Problem solved.
Unread 10-31-2012, 02:52 AM   #19
SpikeDude

I wonder if this could turn out to be a ultimate fix to the common 42RE's going bad? Would love to see if this works! Is it common for WJ 42REs to go bad like the ZJs? If not I kinda wonder why...
2005 Dodge SRT-4, aka "POS", build in progress...
SpikeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 05:06 AM   #20
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDude View Post
I wonder if this could turn out to be a ultimate fix to the common 42RE's going bad? Would love to see if this works! Is it common for WJ 42REs to go bad like the ZJs? If not I kinda wonder why...
Yes, all year 42re's break in similar fashion. The later solenoid lasts a Little longer, but as he said, doesn't work with the earlier computers.

This line of thought won't do anything but spend your money on no improvement.

Unread 10-31-2012, 07:30 AM   #21
SpikeDude

Well darn...

I did find this awesome site in another thread that searches JY's near you for parts I found rebuilt trannys for $450!!! So... I might just get a spare tranny and keep it around in just in-case
2005 Dodge SRT-4, aka "POS", build in progress...
SpikeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 08:01 AM   #22
BoostinChick
1998 ZJ 

There is truth to a few comments in this thread. I have a 97 ZJ and the transmission was cracked. I picked up a 94 42RE and even then there were a few tweaks. The dipstick is on the opposite side, so had to come up with a makeshift bracket to bolt it to the block/housing. My only other concern would be how it bolts to the tcase, if its the same and the input shaft sizing.

Check Craigslist and local junkyards. A few near me have sales every now and again where you could pick up a trans for $100-200 and it comes with a 1-year warranty. I found my trans and NP231 tcase together for $200!
Unread 10-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #23
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDude View Post
Well darn...

I did find this awesome site in another thread that searches JY's near you for parts I found rebuilt trannys for $450!!! So... I might just get a spare tranny and keep it around in just in-case
Do you mind posting that link here please?

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 09:46 AM   #24
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Car-parts.com
Thought everyone knew that

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.