Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

97 trans slips until fully warmed up . why ?

2K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  JaimeZX 
#1 ·
315,000 miles on the jeep and its been doing this for probably a year

warmed up its fine but under 170°f it will slip once or twice

btw its always slipped in 4low so i just keep it in 4high

suggestions on how to fix it ?

#6 ·
Lol thats bs... old fluid will do more harm then new fluid.

Drop your pan change your filter.. fill it up with 5 quarts.. disconnect the return cooler line.. put it in a empty milk jug... run the jeep through gears until its full.. 1 gallon is 4 quarts. Refill with 4.. do this until you change 16 quarts out.

I did this to my 4.0 5.9 and my SJ and my 4.0 has 250k miles almost.. so yea... that totally wrong..

Tell me your logic behind putting 16 quarts of fresh fluid in that causes it to break... lol

Plus youre complaining its slipping and here you are saying a complete fluid change will hurt it.. what is there to hurt if your slipping..

Flush the fluid and dont be stupid and listen to gossip.. its totally false..

#7 ·
Lol thats bs... old fluid will do more harm then new fluid.

Drop your pan change your filter.. fill it up with 5 quarts.. disconnect the return cooler line.. put it in a empty milk jug... run the jeep through gears until its full.. 1 gallon is 4 quarts. Refill with 4.. do this until you change 16 quarts out.

I did this to my 4.0 5.9 and my SJ and my 4.0 has 250k miles almost.. so yea... that totally wrong..

Tell me your logic behind putting 16 quarts of fresh fluid in that causes it to break... lol

Plus youre complaining its slipping and here you are saying a complete fluid change will hurt it.. what is there to hurt if your slipping..

Flush the fluid and dont be stupid and listen to gossip.. its totally false..
well ive got real world experience to back this up though

i had a car with only 90k on the odo and flushed the trans only to have clutch sand in the pan 3 days later

its not a myth

i havent gotten around to it but i am going to adjust the bands , remove the check ball and change out only half the fluid in a few days

i'll keep you informed

#8 ·
Candyman's method of flush is much safer than using a flush machine. I did Candyman's method (also pulled solenoids to clean screens too) to an old accord and saw improvement, but ended up having to replace the tranny 10k miles later due to TC and clutch packs were just worn out. It was done. The clutch packs and TC in the Jeep tranny's tend to last a really long time given you maintained them properly and of course driving habits.

But to the OP.. It sounds like you have baked on varnish in the valves causing one or more to stick. Once it is warmed up, the varnish softens allowing the valve to move freely. Not sure how much improvement you would see doing a Candyman flush (and changing the filter too), but it never hurts. Band adjustment is really needed too, but they are probably worn.

My ZJ has a minor issue where upshifts to 3rd are delayed until it warms up due to aging oring's on the clutchpack combined with a known machining flaw for these years. The oring seat is machined too deep on the clutchpack, and the old oring swells to proper size when warmed up. No big deal for me, I just let off the accelerator and it shifts to 3rd.. When it warms up, no issues at all.

#10 ·
This exactly.
It is absolute BS that a tranny flush destroys transmissions. Dirty fluid may keep the tranny somewhat functional, but if fresh fluid results in clutches/ bands slipping, the tranny was already in need of a rebuild.

"Power- flushing" can be bad/ not recommended on some transmissions, but doing a few tranny drain & refills within a short time period results in enough fresh tranny fluid inside the transmission.

As for our ZJ transmissions, fluid change and band adjustment both are basic maintenance. That being said, having a 4xRH/RE- series transmission making it past 300k miles without a rebuild is a very good result. :)

#12 ·
42RE and 44RE farily often need rebuilding as early as 130-150k miles, but usually will go up to 200k+ with proper maintenance. 46RH/46RE are a bit stronger on a ZJ due to the relatively low weight and conservative power/ torque.
I just rebuilt my friends 42RE which had ~140k original miles on it.

AW4 on the 4.0 XJs and early 4.0 ZJs often go 300k+ miles and beyond without a rebuild. Japanese guys back in the 80s knew how to design a very reliable tranny.

#16 ·
Flush machine is the same thing as you doing it via the cooler lines like i mentioned above.. now i would agree to not use the machines.. i wouldnt want some mavhine forcing fluid through my trans. Its best to just use the transmission own pump while shifting through gears.

1 gal is 4 quarts. So keep doing it and refill with 4 new quarts till you are 12 in then refill with the last 4 quarts for 16 total.

As for you borderwalker. You dont know what the previous owner or owners have done.. thats why its best you just flush it and put in a fresh 16 quarts of atf4. You dont know if you have a moxing pot of 2 or e diff atfs in there or not.

My wagoneer only has 117k on it.. and judging by service records from 2010 up from 2 previous owners it hhas dexon 6. Dexron 3 and atf4 courtesy of a jeep dealership for the atf4.. and atf4 is not what you want in a 727. Nore is dexron 6.

Thats why i flushed that crap out. I only wish i had checked my wagoneers transfercase fluid 4 months when i got it... i just (drained it today and it had like half a quart of fluid in it... smh

#18 ·
Flush machine is the same thing as you doing it via the cooler lines like i mentioned above.. now i would agree to not use the machines.. i wouldnt want some mavhine forcing fluid through my trans. Its best to just use the transmission own pump while shifting through gears.

1 gal is 4 quarts. So keep doing it and refill with 4 new quarts till you are 12 in then refill with the last 4 quarts for 16 total.

As for you borderwalker. You dont know what the previous owner or owners have done.. thats why its best you just flush it and put in a fresh 16 quarts of atf4. You dont know if you have a moxing pot of 2 or e diff atfs in there or not.

My wagoneer only has 117k on it.. and judging by service records from 2010 up from 2 previous owners it hhas dexon 6. Dexron 3 and atf4 courtesy of a jeep dealership for the atf4.. and atf4 is not what you want in a 727. Nore is dexron 6.

Thats why i flushed that crap out. I only wish i had checked my wagoneers transfercase fluid 4 months when i got it... i just (drained it today and it had like half a quart of fluid in it... smh
There are no ZJ transmissions that take 16 quarts of transmission fluid. The 46re can take as much as 14 quarts depending on the cooler. The 42re and 44re both top out at 11 quarts.

GW

#19 ·
I say 16 because flushing mixes the transmission fluid with the old when your flipping through gears, so you want more fluid to get most of it out. When i flushed my 3 Jeeps the last like 3-4 months yes i did all 3 and went through about 45-50 quarts of Dexron 3 and ATF4.. the transmission fluid started getting clear pink after about the 10th quart i pumped out.. So i did another 2-3 to be sure and then topped it off with the other 4. Make sense ?

Think if it like this..

I have a 30 gallon fish tank only filled to 20 gallons. Two plugs, 1 inlet 1 outlet. If i start sucking water out the same time im filling and replace 20 gallons same speed. Those 20 gallons arent going to be 100% fresh 20 gallons. Its going to be mixed water. But if i keep doing it for another 10 gallons then most of the 20 will be gone and youll have more fresh then old water.

So i got 4-5 more quarts to flush 1 more time to dillute the old fluid as much as i could. 4-5 quarts of dex or atf4 is only like $15-20 more

#21 ·
Are you brain dead ? Did you graduate k-5 ?

Flush 3 times... 12 quarts.. The 3rd time will be 12 quarts MEANING YOUR PAN IS 4 QUARTS LOW.. Then Fill with the last 4 you have to top it off. Seriously do you have the brain of a monkey ?

#23 ·
Really appreciate the insults. I will overlook it at this point since you are either drunk or off your meds. I am a bit surprised that your mommy lets you drink in her house.

GW

#22 ·
Some of the flush machines pulse the fluid back and forth with an intent to break free contaminants. This is why you hear about trannys not working after a flush as internal screens and other components get clogged when the junk is free'd up. This method is probably ok for a low mileage, well maintained tranny (with minimal contamination), but with older high mileage cars it is not safe. Doing the method Candyman described is much safer and is the best method to get fresh fluid through the whole system including the TC.

#24 ·
Candymancan is just being a little outspoken and with no filter haha

However the insults arent really justified.

#25 ·
Getting back to the earlier part of this thread... lol.

The reason some people say that their tranny stopped working after a fluid change has to do with the clutches. If the old fluid was darkish, or opaque, or burnt-smelling, then there could be a lot of clutch material floating around in the tranny. If that's the case, the proper answer is a rebuild. That said, the clutch bits in fluid suspension will also increase the friction of the fluid a bit and act as sort-of a band-aid for the issue. When you remove that fluid and put nice, lubricating stuff in, suddenly those clutches start slipping.

So. This is why when people ask about "should I change my fluid," the first question is "is it other-than-pink/red?" If it ISN'T pink-red, and you change it, you could start having issues. Better off using the fluid as-is and making the call on a rebuild at your earliest convenience.

If the fluid IS pink-red, then the clutches are probably fine. Do a pan-drop/filter change and it'll get out ~40-50% of the old fluid. Adjust the bands while you're at it. Depending on how old the fluid is, you could either do another pan drop down the road 15-30k and then be up to 75% new fluid, or the self-pump technique described previously to replace *all* of the fluid. But you're still gonna want to replace that filter and adjust the bands if it's been a while. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.