Ok, I know the Death Wobble has been discussed almost to death, and I know there are tons of posts... but there isn't too much info about stock jeeps, especially stock zj's...
I have a 1997, Jeep Grand Cherokee, no modifications, at all!!!
and I my DW is getting worse! I know it is a DW because it likes to almost throw me off the road above 50 mph, the only way to stop it is to stop, COMPLETELY, and it is usually caused by a small bump that starts a mild shaking and continues to get worse.
I have been underneath, and have done some basic examinations...
1) my tires are all worn EVENLY, no major issues besides normal wear and tear
2) the alignment is fine. I can let go of the steering wheel, and she glides right down the road, straight as an arrow.
3) I have some play in the tires... The driver's side wheel is loose side to side, and up and down (tie-rod ends, and ball joints, respectively). The passenger side is only giving some play side to side (tie rod ends).
4) I haven't checked the track bar yet...
5) I haven't messed with the steering stabilizer
6) when I brake, I feel the beginnings of a DW, but it never pans out... I think this is related to my DW, because my rotors are not warped. But, this could still be a brake issue.
7) I am around 180k miles, and it runs great!
I am going to go to my local shop that offers free estimates tomorrow hopefully, and see what they say. Most likely I might have to go to an off-road shop, because the local shop might not know what a DW is.
If anyone has any info on ZJ DW's with no LIFT, I would greatly appreciate the comments!!!!!!! Thank you!!!