97 JGC 4.0, backfired, split muffler in half..please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 97 JGC 4.0, backfired, split muffler in half..please help

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-25-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
gangstamedic
1997 ZJ 

97 JGC 4.0, backfired, split muffler in half..please help

First off, Merry Christmas everyone

So I started having a problem with my jeep the other day, I was driving home and all of a sudden my Heep cut off on me. THough nothing of it.. at first. Then the next day it drove fine. Yesterday rolled around and we were driving on the high way and my car started sputtering a little bit, and then back fired my fiance says sprks flew out of the back, and died. It would start up and then die again. Did this for about thirty minutes. At first I thought it may have been because I put seafoam in my tank to clean it out, as maybe some gunk was going through my fuel lines. Finally started it back up and drove home, sputtered a few more times and died one more time. Here's where the fun begins, so tonight I get home and decide to drive my jeep and see if it is still doing this. Starts up ok drives fine for a few minutes. Then I stoped at a red light, got going again and sputer sputter backfire stall. Wait a few more minutes, start it up, runs for a sec, then stops. repeat twic starts up. I decide to punch tohe accelerator got clean the crap out. It backfired and got a big puff of smoke. Then I get going and it does it again. Turn it on and give it some gas, and KA-BOOM. Then my car starts to run much better, but is much much louder. So I drive home, look under it and tada, my muffler is spilt in half down the seam. Dunno what the issue is.

My dad says the muffler may have been clogged,

The day before the issues started I put seafoam and chemtool in the tank and through the seafoam through throttle body as my gas milage has been decreasing.

I think I need a new fuel regualtor and ordered one after the first time it started(as my car sat for 3 years before I bought it five months ago)

Other than this issue my jeep is great. Any suggestions?

Oh and after my muffler blew the check engine light came on...finally LOL

This is really depressing to happen on christmas... I need my wheels. THanks and God Bless

gangstamedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
BigE3
1993 ZJ 

plugged cat, muffler maybe? does your Jeep smoke? have you checked the plugs to see if they are black? if they are you have a flow problem.

If the plugs look fine then I would look into the ignition system.
Unread 01-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
gangstamedic
1997 ZJ 

so here goes, I had a new fuel filter/regulator installed, I changed the plugs, changed the coil, put a new IAC on and still stalling. I got a fuel pressure gauge and when I am able to get my car to run it goes to around 42-46. When I turn the car off the pressure immediately goes to zero. I thought there was an anti drain back valve that prevented that from happening. I also checked my fuel via the pressure bleed off while my jeep was running. It is a golden color. I think the issue lies with the sediment in my tank, as I think the B12 Chemtool and seafoam I put in the fuel caused a bunch of crap to break loose and get in my fuel, my lines and the new fuel filter/regulator, maybe made the fuel to rich or something too as I put a bottle of each in it and didnt have this issue before hand. At my first opportunity to get down to a shop I am having a new fuel pump module put in and having the tank cleaned out. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by gangstamedic; 01-01-2010 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: added stuff
gangstamedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
NJSPEEDER
1993 ZJ 

Just run the seafoam and chemtool tank through, even if it means driving in circles around the block. If they are breaking up the sediment in the tank that's fine, you need to get it out of there anyway and there is a fuel filter for a reason. As long as you are not seeing any particulate in the gas it will just burn through.

Once you go through this tank of gas, fill up with good gas(93 octane) and change the fuel filter.

My bet is that there was just a bunch of crap in the lines and tank from it sitting. Just have to let it all run itself through and you should be fine.
New Jersey F-Body Owners Association
www.NJFBOA.org
NJSPEEDER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
KAynee

So did you ever figure out what was wrong with it? My jeep same year, same everything is having the same exact problems..
KAynee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.