97 Jeep Grand Cherokee won't start and Check Gauges light on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee won't start and Check Gauges light on

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top SaleUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 10-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
anyhelp

97 Jeep Grand Cherokee won't start and Check Gauges light on

I have a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Car

I put the key in and the car won't start

The engine clunks and then the Check Gauges light comes on

The radio doesn't work

A new alternator was put in under a year ago

What should I do?

If you need any more information let me know

anyhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

well, a clunk isn't a very good thing.
is it one clunk and then stops?
what motor do you have?
did it stall and you're trying to restart?
just did it all of a sudden on first start of the day?
how is the charge in the battery?
any check engine codes?
any over heating recently?
any engine noise recently?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
anyhelp

It happened during the first start of the day

not sure how tot check the charge of the battery

no over heating

the belt makes some noise for the first 5 minutes of driving

Last edited by anyhelp; 10-24-2012 at 03:02 PM..
anyhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
randallr
2006 KJ Liberty 

Check the codes, ignition on-off-on-off-on in 15 seconds and then count the pulses on the check engine light. The codes are 2 digit - quick pulses followed by a longer pause and more quick pulses. Five pulses followed by four pulses is a code 54 (no feedback from CAM/Crank shaft sensors). Multiple codes will follow each other with a longer pause in between. A 55 means end of codes (should always get that one). I just went through a series of code 54 issues. What I've learned is when a the camshaft position sensor fails, the car will/can continue to run until turned off. A crankshaft position will stall the car and may or may not restart (mine was a failed cam sensor and a thermal failure issue on the crank sensor). I had both symptoms, replaced the cam sensor (bottom of distributor) several times (always seemed to fix it ... temporarily). Finally replaced the crank sensor (mounted on top of transmission bell housing, drivers side, a PITA to change). Seems to be running okay now. The crank sensor tells the computer when a cylinder is TDC, the cam sensor tells the computer when No. 1 cylinder is TDC on the compression stroke. Timing and fuel is calculated from those inputs. Good luck.
randallr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.