97 Grand Runs like Crap HOLY CRAP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 97 Grand Runs like Crap HOLY CRAP

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
Elijahs02TJ

97 Grand Runs like Crap HOLY CRAP

Alright I bought a 97 Grand for my daughter who just had a baby and was allot bigger and better for her. It has the 4.0 and Automatic. I drove it to the hospital with no problems and the next day she said it runs horrible. So i told them to take it to check the codes cause she said the Check engine light was on. So they said....... Throttle position sensor, Crank Shaft Position Sensor, and Coil. So I replaced all of them..... the crank position sensor had a little greasy dirt build up on it......... think I may have a small rear seal leak since there is a drip on the bottom of the bell housing....... none the less..... The check engine light went out, and it ran pretty darn good..... the next day, they called and said it runs like crap, jerks then dies..... then its hard to start. Alrighty..... we cleaned the contacts to the computer with contact cleaner and brushes, then used some contact grease.......Then I zip tied the around the computer and cinched down the connectors..... It seemed to run really good for about 3 weeks then its back to running like Crap again...... no codes though....

So,,, thinking maybe the board has a problem or a bad or weak connection......... or????? anyone else had this issue?

Elijahs02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
straightZJ6
1996 ZJ 

my buddy had the same problem. is your on board computer. if you get that replaced that should fix your problem. is about 350?
straightZJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

The 96-98 JGC had bad PCM's used in them. The problems you describe, along with bad performance and hard starting are some of the symptoms. The ty-wraps cause the connections inside PCM to make better contact, but is only a temporary cure and usually comes back. Try tightening the connectors further and if the engine responds well, get a new PCM (re-man). Just be sure you get a warranty.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I wouldn't say they were bad as a blanket statement. A very small percentage go out like this and its common enough to be a standard diagnosis.
Usually the standard diagnosis procedure of a bad ecu/pcm is replacing parts with no positive effect.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.