97 grand cherokee ripped up some wires, wont start..NEED HELP!!
aight heres my dilema.. I think its my o2 sensor. its the one that is in the cat converter. now where this plugs in to the next wiring harness is where my problem is.. apparently it got snagged on my drive shaft and it ripped it unplugged and shredded up a few wires. my jeep tac and spedo went all the way up (rpm's did not rev, just gauge) and then they both went back down to zero and it rolled to a stop. tried starting it and nothing so i towed it home. once i got home i noticed the wires so i stripped and reconnected all the wires tapped thenm up all individually, n thought ehh easy fix...well not so much. i have no spark now. i replaced the ignition module because it was a cheap part. distributor cap is good, the rotor spins, i get fuel to the fuel rail, and itll just crank and crank and wont start. checked all the fuses, checked the asd relay with my starter relay, swapped them with eachother n same thing, nothing..i pulled a spark plug wire, got an extra spark plug and put it into the wire and looked for spark..nothing. anybody got any ideas? hopefully i didnt fry something..thanks
triple checked all the fuses, nothing is blow, some more things to maybe help, none of my gauges even register nor do they light up, the only one is the oil pressure and it will just barely twitch randomly when i try ot turn it on n then off it jus barely twitches once...and if i leave the ignition to the on position after everything lights up the gas light and chime come on, but im positive i have gas, after the problem i even put about 5 extra gallons of gas in to be sure. and i get fuel to the fuel rail...anybody else got any ideas?
aight ill check to make sure the fuses are correct amps. but im sure they are...ya everything is wired corectly, it was only four wires..the got shreded between the cat converter thers a few inch wires then a plug and after the plug to the main line where a bunch of wires meet up and go foward to the front of jeep, is where it got shreded n im sure they touched eachother and shorted something...was thinkin pcm, also but didnt know if theres a dead giveaway or a way to test. not exactly the cheapest part to guess wrong on
On the long shot that the O2 sensor is shorted, unplug the connector and see if anything changes.
There is also an small chance the crank sensor is shorted, but it would be a strange coincidence that it happened at the same time the bundle shorted. It would be easy enough to check it for short with meter.
That crank sensor is where the tach gets it's signal and you did say the tach went nuts and then dropped. Also no crank sensor signal equals no spark sine the engine needs its signal and the cam sensor to figure engine position and firing time. Sounds like a possibility and definitely worth checking.
little late of a response but it was the PCM, i heard u had to order one threw jeep and have it flashed at the dealership and all this crap n gunna cost crazy money, went to autozone n picked one up pre-flashed for like 220(with core return) plugged it in n fired right up thanks for the help
Sorry to add to an old post, but wanted to give more info for those future members that actually use the 'search' function. This exact issue happened to me, O2 wiring fell and ripped by the driveshaft. My fix was the ASD (Automatic Shut Down) and PCM fuse in the underhood relay box. It's a yellow 20 amp fuse. Replacing the fuse got me running again and off the side of the road, but threw a check engine light until I replaced the O2 sensor. Don't forget to reroute the wiring and use some extra zip-ties to hold it up and away.