97 GC volts gauge going to zero - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 97 GC volts gauge going to zero

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Count Down to KOH Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-24-2015, 07:11 PM   #1
tazz001

97 GC volts gauge going to zero

I bow to the Jeep gurus again:

I have a love/hate relationship with the durn thing. It's my not-so-daily driver. Used to go to town. Work vehicle sees nasty roads and I try to keep my better set of wheels off of them. It maybe has had 2k miles put in it over the last year.

so 97 Gr Cher limited 5.2 auto with all the goodies. Has had the t-care replaced w part time one, rad, heater core, water pump, carpet, one heated seat replaced in the last few years.

On the way home from town last week it did some funky transmission shift. (it's been shifting wonky occasionally esp when wet/damp out) then the volts gauge went to zero...nada....nothing. looked like the key was off. Called the kid to come follow us home...charge the battery if needed. Ya know that limp it home thing rather than pay the tow truck!

Since it ran home fine we just parked it (making sure battery was charged) since it was bitter cold. Really didn't need to use so no biggie til it warmed up some.

Did a little bit of google reading. Decided to change the alternator. Went to local pickapart. found a fresh kill in a dodge Dakota that was a recent rebuild. Put it on and still nothing...gauge goes up to 13ish and drops back to zip/zero/nadda. Shut it down, went to restart and battery was dead. barely cranked/clicked.

Put battery charger on it for 2 minutes and it fired right up. read battery voltage in the dash, unhook the charger and Blam...back to zero... WTF?? Pull neg wire off battery while running (I don't want to hear about frying PCM<we know its a possibility) truck runs but idles a bit slower than usual.

Tomorrow the alt is coming back off and going on the kids college beater. in 10 yrs the only time that ol heep o jeep has left me stranded was when the starter died...ohhh and the fuel pump. Not bad for a 318 powered heep w 300k on it.

Should I look into PCM, Battery cables (they are iffy) . I know I should also look into dash cluster wiring as the dash was out for heater core.

What really gets me is it ready voltage w charger on it then nothing when charger disconnected.

Battery is fairly new. haven't had any problems with starting when its bitter cold or holding a charge for a week this time of year. Its also the go-to battery to put in our bulldozer when we need to use that. And that is a hard start.

What to look at??

Editing to add: Key on, not running....reads battery voltage..upon starting it drops to zero.

One more add. The security system no longer seems to function. dead or weak battery used to make all the bells whistles and lights blare.

Last edited by tazz001; 01-24-2015 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: adding info
tazz001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
Roadtripguy
1996 ZJ 

If this were my truck, I'd start with the battery cables and battery terminals, based on your description of the problem. If your cables are junk, replace them, and clean your battery terminals with some emery cloth. Make sure everything is clean, and also good and tight. This includes the OTHER ends of your battery cables as well.

PS: Alternator brush kits are readily available on eBay, and are very inexpensive (I've done the alternators in all 3 of my Jeeps).
Roadtripguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2015, 03:08 PM   #3
tazz001

Update:

Alternator did NOT fix. Swapped donor alternator out to kids 94 Gr Cher and worked fine in that.

New battery...only because we had one fail in another vehicle and put new on in my Jeep. Old battery works fine in our backhoe

Used PCM from local salvage yard. Donor was 98 Gr Cher limited w 318. Seems to have solved the problem tho a 15 mile trip is all its had so far. Time will tell.
tazz001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.