97 GC Laredo - Odd electrical problem - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-28-2016, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
WeaverR1
1997 ZJ 

97 GC Laredo - Odd electrical problem

Morning everyone, had a quick question about an odd electrical problem my 97 Grand Cherokee seems to be having. Also I posted a video link below which shows the problem I'm encountering. I apologize about the position of the camera at the time, I forgot to change orientation before uploading it.

I started out this morning like any other just fine, but after I pulled out of my driveway, all the lights on the instrument cluster, and dash period, went out. Shortly after they went out, the engine then died and was barely puttering along borderline of being dead in the middle of the road. It started to putter back to life and started to run fine again after the lights came back on. I maybe drove about a quarter of a mile down the road and it did the same thing again, but this time actually died completely causing me to have to put it in park and try to start it again. The only way I was actually able to get it back home was by constantly pumping the gas pedal. Half way back home again it started to putter like before, but this time (as shown in the video) it started flashing most if not all the lights on the instrument cluster and a bunch of relays rapidly clicking could be audibly heard coming from the passenger side panel. It continued this until I managed to get back up the driveway at my house, then when I attempted to turn it off with the key, it continued to run after the key was removed from the ignition switch.

Before anyone says anything about my gas gauge, I filled it up last night before coming home from a family member's home. I'm currently awaiting 5 relays (which should be here tomorrow) to replace the most important ones in the engine compartment fuse box, as yesterday I had to switch out a working one with the ASD relay cause it had died completely. After doing some troubleshooting in my head, I kind of have a few ideas what this possibly could be, but at the same time I wanted to post here and see if anyone else had any ideas or possible solutions to the problem.

My ideas where either possible PCM issue or Ignition Switch at the moment. I've already checked all the fuses to make sure they were fine and they are, so I'm ruling the fuses out as being culprits.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-28-2016, 07:52 AM
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

put some zip ties around the three wiring harness plugs going into your ecu. its on the firewall above the passenger foot area, but in the engine bay. i think there is a reservoir right there that you might have to unbolt and swing out of hte way but maybe not.

also, you are in the regular cherokee area, the xj forum.

but search in the zj area about the ecu plugs and it will pop up how common that problem is. i have had a few zj so i know what you are going through. just ziptie them down while you research the fix. i ended up just getting another ecu for the 98 we had last year. i got lucky and one showed up on ebay for 50 bucks

I don't feel like working on anything, at this time.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-28-2016, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
WeaverR1
1997 ZJ 

That's my bad, didn't realize I clicked the wrong board. lol Early morning and am still not really fully awake.

Anyways, thanks, I'll try that and see if it helps. I went out to check my code reader for any other errors other than the governor sensor one I keep getting because the Jeep had been sitting for so long that condensation set up in the transmission so now I'm working on trying to get the water out by changing it sooner than the recommended time/mileage. Anyways, after I checked the codes again, I decided to try and start it up again to see if it was still having the same issue, but now it's starting up somewhat okay, a little hesitant, but still starts now. However though after it's started and running, the RPM gauge goes up like usual but then a few seconds after engine is running the gauge goes down to nothing while the other gauges are now working properly, and the engine continues running.

I'll go out and try the ziptie thing and see if that helps out as soon as it gets a little warmer outside, which shouldn't be more than a couple hours.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-28-2016, 10:25 AM
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

thats normal ecu harness plug signs.

I don't feel like working on anything, at this time.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-28-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
WeaverR1
1997 ZJ 

Well after some testing today, I think we've figured out that the alternator may actually be a problem as when trying to get it to start up again after pressing the plugs tight against the ecu (which didn't do anything for it), I saw a spark from the positive red terminal on the battery while my husband tried starting it up. So to show him, I had him stand next to the engine and look at the terminal as I tried starting it up, and he too saw the same spark and this time some smoke rise from the area of the battery and the alternator. Going to just put it in the shop to get that fixed. Thanks for the help everyone. n_n I'll keep posted if it keeps being a problem afterwards.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-18-2016, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
WeaverR1
1997 ZJ 

Just an update on the problem. Seems it ran fine after having been taken in to be checked out and the ground wires cleaned/tightened, but now it seems I'm back to square one with the no start and once I get it started, having to pump the gas to get it going then riding the brakes until it stops acting like it wants to stall out. I'm going to try and check the pcm for errors today. I've got the repair manual that you can purchase from the auto parts stores, but I was wondering if anyone had a better guide for checking these pcms?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out. n_n

Tags
electrical problem , ignition problem , light dash electrical , pcm , stall issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.