97 5.2L water inlet tube...push in, o-ring type - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 97 5.2L water inlet tube...push in, o-ring type

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 01-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
kcult
1997 ZJ 

97 5.2L water inlet tube...push in, o-ring type

Hi.

I searched a bit on here and found information about this pipe, but it seems most of the replacement pipes advertised and mentioned are ones that fit onto a nipple threaded into the water pump. The inlet pipe on my jeep has an o-ring on it and the pipe pushes into the water pump and that's it.

Well, today it sprang a leak. Neither parts house (that's open on Sunday) had the pipe or the o ring that fits onto it. I bought a small pack of assorted o-rings hoping one would fit. Well, several fit, but were too thick to allow the pipe back into the pump. I was seeing stars trying to get it back in. The o-ring that was thin enough to slip back in does not seal and now it leaks even worse.

Since the pipe is held steady by a bolt through the block, is it possible to just put some type of RTV sealer on it and go? I don't want to buy a new water pump just for that one o-ring.

Any other suggestions are definitely welcome.

kcult is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
hiroku1324
1995 ZJ 

Go to the dealer and lube the Oring with a little oil, should fit right in.
hiroku1324 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
kcult
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiroku1324 View Post
Go to the dealer and lube the Oring with a little oil, should fit right in.
Do you mean go to the dealer and ask for the o-ring?
Unread 01-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
Coolcatracing
2008 JK Wrangler 

I used the oring that came with my new pump, cut it going on, got 2 new ones and cut both even soaked with oil. I spread some silicone all over the cut oring and shoved it in there and let it cure. Hasnt leaked yet after 8k miles.
08 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed, 315/70-16 Kelly TSR, 1.5" Spidertrax spacers factory Moab's, Rubicon Express Flex arm 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front bumper with D-rings, Body Armor Extreme rock slider steps, AEV snorkel, trimmed fender flares, Hella 8" HID driving lights
Coolcatracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 11:04 PM   #5
jdk3034

all you should need is a new o ring a new water pump comes with a new o ring. it might be a metric o ring. try buying assortment pack from harbor freight or something and eye it up. if the pipe doesn't go in the pump by pushing it with your hand, tap the mounting bracket with a small hammer to get it in. i just did mine this weekend. i put the pipe in as far as i could push it, then put the other end in the heater hose and bolted the bracket down to the valve cover stud, then tapped it the rest of the way in with the hammer until the mounting bracket lined up with the hole in the accessory bracket.
jdk3034 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
kcult
1997 ZJ 

Has anyone modified a new water pump to accept a threaded nipple?
Unread 01-31-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
kachink
1998 ZJ 

I did the same thing with mine when I replaced the pump. What worked for me was a 10mm ID x 14mm OD o-ring (2mm cross section). Clean everything well, put the o-ring on, then put RTV on it, insert it, and let it cure before refilling. Mine's been holding for about 4-5 months. It probably wouldn't hurt to try and put a slight countersink on the hole to keep it from shearing the o-ring, but make sure it's smooth so you don't nick it.

I don't think RTV on the outside after it's already leaking would work very well.

I think the threaded nipple is for a Dodge application of the 318. It would probably work ok to tap the hole for a nipple as long as there is sufficient wall thickness to support it. If it doesn't work you'll be replacing the water pump, so I'd try the new o-ring + RTV first.
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
jdk3034

edit: do not tap bracket with hammer, mine is leaking. it seemed good at 1st, 2 days later it is leaking. i guess i will have to remove mine and replace with new o ring and lube it with wheel bearing grease, i used silicone spray only because bosch's water pump instructions said to use that and DO NOT USE grease for some reason about deterioration or something. i guess the silicone spray is not slippery enough to get it seated. i thought you always use grease, so bosch's instructions threw me off. now i gotta pull my fan and shroud and ac compressor off again, all because i listened to their dumb instructions instead of my own knowledge.
jdk3034 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 11:41 PM   #9
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Go buy a water pump, carefully remove the o-ring from the kit, and return the water pump.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
kcult
1997 ZJ 

No one in the podunk town had the o-ring and very few even had anything too similar. I tore several trying to get the pipe in. I finally stopped at a tire store (that also sells lawn mowers, etc.) and went through their collection of o-rings. The closest thing I could find was just a tick small, so I got 2.

I put them both on and test fit the pipe. It went in with some resistance and when I pulled it back out, the o-rings were still intact. I smeared RTV red around the pipe and slid it back in. It sat for 24 hours and I fired it up. No leaking. I took for a spin around the block and parked it. No leaking. I checked it about 4 hours later. No leaking.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Unread 02-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #11
Yardman Harry
O

1996 ZJ 

I had a heck of a time finding that ring. If you get the replacement tube (unfortunately the replacement tube is only for ram trucks) the o-ring will be on the tube.

I ran around town looking for o-rings to fit, checked advanced, pepboys, napa, and autozone. only autozone had the right ring. it was like 2 bucks

Yard

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ed. I6 - 4.0 litre, 4" SL, D44 rear, 4:56 Gears, AA SYE with double cardon custom rear Drive Shaft, IRO Adj CAs, Kevins Rear Adj TB with JOHNNY JOINT end

1999 Mazda Miata MX5 - Jet Black

1990 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 - 4.0 litre
White
~Junked~
Yardman Harry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #12
steveo12

does anybody know what size the bolt is or were i can find out for the water inlet tube the bolt that holds tube to block changed pump came up missing
steveo12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #13
housedl

man getting ready to do this water pump thing and the inlet tube again... water pump that i replaced a few years ago died.. so i get to do this again.. going to buy new tube and all.. hopefully it goes in better... last time that stupid little o ring didnt settle right and the thing linked constantly.. sigh
housedl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #14
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

I don't understand why I hear of so many people having trouble with this tube. I've done tons and have never had one leak. Make sure there are no sharp edges on the water pump or the tube, install the O-ring dry, and smear a liberal amount of RTV over the end of the tube. Push the tube in straight with a back and forth twisting motion. If it won't go in all the way, place a screwdriver on the edge of the bracket and tap it the rest of the way in.
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #15
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Tranz shop has a **** ton of o-rings as well.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.