97 5.2 ZJ Build (Long term) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 97 5.2 ZJ Build (Long term)

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 11-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
jcollins6695

97 5.2 ZJ Build (Long term)

This is my first post on the forum, so first and foremost I'd like to say hey. I purchased a 1997 318 ZJ late this summer as my first vehicle, and a trail capable daily driver.

Bought it not running, I suspected it needed a fuel pump with what little knowledge I had. Spent a couple of days and a couple hundred dollars on it..

Turns out the o2 sensor wire was rubbing the driveshaft, that shorted somehow messing up the CPS sensor, and the fuel pump- well, I'm not sure why it conveniently went out. Anyways, finished all that up and she drove great.

Well the first few days were just doing the stupid things I hadn't done before. AKA putting it in the mud, removing the rear sway bar, and flexing. After two or three days the deliberate mud got old and I was running of things a stock zj with street tires could climb.

For now it was just being driven daily, while I finished on some other projects.

So with winter on its way, everyone is starting to do some more wheeling- and I'm not taking a bone stock vehicle out there. Anyways, I found a good deal on some 31x10.50 Baja Claws with about 80% tread on the later Cherokee wheels.

Now thats it for the pictures so far, the 31s clear uncut fenders with no lift but do rub a tad when you cut it hard (thats just to clarify for any of you guys who want to know). But I won't be without a lift for long- I order 3.5in Rubicon express springs, shocks, and Stem Eliminators for the front (Which I've been told is a good investment), and I plan on doing a F>R swap for the rear. Parts should be here wednesday to friday and the lift will most likely go on Saturday. Soon after the lift will be a NP231 swap (I have a 242? I believe.. its the AWD), followed by bumpers and lights, roof rack, etc. Hope you hear some opinions and advice! Thank ya'!

jcollins6695 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
WJ4x4LIFE

A 242 is full time 4x4, but not in the same sense as a 249, which either 50/50 4wd or 85/15 in 96' and up. You also still have the option of 2wd, verse what I have were 2wd is not available and I love it! Just my opinion. I wish you the best on your project!
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
jcollins6695

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ4x4LIFE View Post
A 242 is full time 4x4, but not in the same sense as a 249, which either 50/50 4wd or 85/15 in 96' and up. You also still have the option of 2wd, verse what I have were 2wd is not available and I love it! Just my opinion. I wish you the best on your project!
Oh I gotcha, I appreciate it! And I like the AWD Transfer case, but the chain is slipping evidently.. and I can get a 231 cheap, and its supposed to be dependable from what I've heard.
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Hook up the rear sway bar. The benfits is provides in reducing body roll outweigh the non-existant gains in flex that it provides. Get quick disconnects for the front instead.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
jcollins6695

Heres where we are now. Stock shocks still in the rear (there was a mix up in my order and I only received one rear shock.)

Jacked the the front end up the axel (of course), Maxed the jack out and put the body on jackstands (just behind the control arm brackets on each side). Removed the wheels, Removed the shocks (two bolts on the bottom are 13mm or 1/2, and are backed up by a nut of the same size, the top for the stems are 9/16s nuts). Removed the spring-lock or what ever its called, its also a 13mm but it threads into the axel. Did this for both sides. Then drop the jack and let the axel hang, take the jack and pick one side (doesn't matter which is first). Put the jack under one side and start lifting that side up ( btw You can pad the jack and put it under the rotar, or go under the control arm bracket). You'll notice the other side has dropped a bunch, making it easier to remove the spring.

NOW, here in my case I went and rented a spring compressor, only to get home and realize it wasn't the type i needed, and wouldn't work. Assuming you have a working coil spring compressor, this is where you would compress the spring and remove it, compress the new spring and insert it.

Seeing as I DIDN'T have a compressor, here is what I did. Grab two ratchet straps (Yes, we're going this direction with things..). Hook them top to bottom and each side of the spring, and begin EVENLY ratcheting them. This is where I'm depending on you to know the limits of your straps. If you think its gonna break, you're probably right. Anyways, and played it safe and didn't over torque them. Removed the springs and go the new ones in.

Installing the shocks went nearly perfect as well, the stem eliminators worked perfectly. But the bottom mount was a little off, had to drill them out just a tad to get the bolt to work.. no big deal, probably just a small factory flaw.

The rear springs were INCREDIBLY easy, used the same process as the front, except for when I jacked up of side of the axel.. the opposite coil just fell out, and the new ones went it with almost no struggle.

The picture is sideways, but heres an idea of how it sets on 31x10.50s.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.