Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

97 5.2 / water pump or pulley about to grenade overnight?

782 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ThundROkieZJ98 
#1 ·
Wise ZJ Forum Elders,
I seek your wisdom/ experience as I am poor and novice mechanic.

Last night ZJ ran fine, 200k on this 97 5.2.

This morning during my ten minute commute I started hearing pinging banging as I pulled into the parking garage. Went to leave for lunch and it sounded like the engine was shaking apart. Banging and clanging. Observing it running the lower most pulley looked like it was going to come off, so u shut her down.

I've had the power steering pump pulley fail before, caused the belt to fall off and pump/ pulley had to be replaced..

Is the same thing happening to my lowest pulley, wich I believe drives the water pump? If this sounds most likely the case, does anyone recommend best way to attack this repair..

Since I can't start, I'm going to tow rope it Out of the parking garage to a waiting tow truck below(even small tow truck won't fit in here) and have it taken to my local garage. I'd like to try and diagnose it there before I let the mechanic start tearing it down in case of any easy or quick fix that I haven't though of.

Thanks for taking the time to assist.
-Glenn

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.