97 44RE delayed D or R - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 97 44RE delayed D or R

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #16
Primordial
1995 ZJ 

I'm having the same problem as well on my 95 Laredo (different tranny if I'm not mistaken, but the R to D hesitation is the same). Also, I noticed today that at approx 72 mph when I had it in cruise control and started going up a slight incline it down shifted and surged like mad. I've also noticed a delayed upshift after it downshifts in situations such as passing someone. Does that sound like it's just the band, or possibly more? I guess I can get out my tranny supplement to the FSM I have lying around in the garage...

Primordial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
bob_351c
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primordial View Post
I'm having the same problem as well on my 95 Laredo (different tranny if I'm not mistaken, but the R to D hesitation is the same). Also, I noticed today that at approx 72 mph when I had it in cruise control and started going up a slight incline it down shifted and surged like mad. I've also noticed a delayed upshift after it downshifts in situations such as passing someone. Does that sound like it's just the band, or possibly more? I guess I can get out my tranny supplement to the FSM I have lying around in the garage...
check out the fsm it has a chart with possible curprilts to the hesitation. Some of the things it says is low fluid, to change the fluid, clogged filter, adjust reverse band, tc drain back valve and then lists some major overhaul related ones
bob_351c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #18
Primordial
1995 ZJ 

I'll check it tomorrow...thanks!
Unread 03-24-2013, 03:34 AM   #19
RamahX
1997 ZJ 

This is the Chief ;->
No, have not resolved. Sorry I havn't gotten back, I have a subscription to this thread but its not notifying me of new threads.

I'm lurking about here hoping someone has an answer. As far as the bands I adjusted them last time (month ago) whilst changing the filter. I too only had clutch material, no metal etc in the pan or magnet.

Where is the FSM? Will look on my own, and that sounds interesting that you list the TQ drainback... What I don't want to do is chase my tail with servo kits, spring kits etc and end up spending a decent chuck of cash I could've used towards a rebuilt one : ( So I need good gouge on what to try next.
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #20
Primordial
1995 ZJ 

FSM is the factory service manual...I have a hard copy of it, not an electronic copy.
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #21
bob_351c
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i have an electronic copy for a 98, if you want send me a pm with your email and i can send it to you
Unread 03-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #22
bob_351c
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well to update the problem, changed fluid and filter, adjusted reverse band. Cant get to the forward band very easily so i ended up leaving it. Drove it the last 4 days and it was fine until today. same thing, put it in reverse and it takes off smooth, throw it in drive and it revs for a split second and takes off.
Went back to the manual and the 3rd thing on the list to check was the shifter. I found if i put in neutral and slowly pull back all the way to the stop it just sits there in neutral, give it a rev or a second without doing anything and it drops into drive. Feels exactly like in the morning. I know its kind of grasping at straws but im thinking when i pull it back into drive its just barley hitting drive and when its cold in the morning or after sitting it sticks and doesnt quite make it into gear. I have it set now so that when i pull it from neutral to drive it catches drive by a fair amount before hitting the stop. Going to get up early on my days off this weekend to test it out.
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #23
bob_351c
2002 TJ Wrangler 

its been almost a month so i think its safe to say that the shifter adjustment has fixed my problem. I have seen some cold mornings the last couple weeks and it has taken off great every time. Just to clairify the band and filter change didnt help the problem it was always an issue with the shifter not fully going into park. hope this helps someone out
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #24
RamahX
1997 ZJ 

So sorry I have not updated this. It was... almost one quart low...

I'd changed the fluid and put in the obligatory 4 quarts, and that wasn't enough. Problem went away completely, even on cold mornings.

Now, only thing left is to adjust the 3/4 bands. Did the reverse/low bands whilst pan was off.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.