97 44RE delayed D or R - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 97 44RE delayed D or R

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 03-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
RamahX
1997 ZJ 

97 44RE delayed D or R

I've searched high and low and cannot find my symptoms listed.

'97 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 170,000 well maintained.

Started having delayed initial engagement, only happens cold; goes into reverse easy, I back out of driveway, shift to Drive FROM reverse and delayed engagement. Have to rev engine then it catches. Once in D if I shift back to Reverse same thing, delay, then same delay back to D.

All other shifts are fine, OD fine. Will not repeat after driving at all. Only cold.

Changed fluid/filter and adjusted bands as per with dial indicator etc. Still same problem. Every search turns up slipping 1-2, OD slips, etc but cannot find anyone listing the delayed engagement R-D symptom.

Question, would a kit such as the Superior or Transgo kits solve this? Was hoping to get 200,000 before rebuild...

Unread 03-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Low fluid level or bad governor and sensor usually do that.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
RamahX
1997 ZJ 

Not low fluid level, wasn't low before and isn't now. That leaves gov and sensor ..., and also wondering; the Superior kit has a 'rapid fill manual valve'...
Unread 03-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

For full manual shift modification.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
bob_351c
2002 TJ Wrangler 

sorry to dig up an older thread but was the issue ever resolved? having same issue with a 46re exactly as described!
bob_351c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
RTLee
1995 ZJ 

I had the same issues at one point after a recent rebuild. The gent that rebuilt the unit readjusted the bands and the issue was resolved.

I would have a trans shop (reputable) check it over.
RTLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
bob_351c
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLee View Post
I had the same issues at one point after a recent rebuild. The gent that rebuilt the unit readjusted the bands and the issue was resolved.

I would have a trans shop (reputable) check it over.
Im liking the sounds of that. What were your symptoms? mine has recently started with a delay first thing in the morning between reverse and drive. And recently it also did it between park and reverse and then also reverse and drive. and after driving a few houses down everything is fine, shifts fine and switches between reverse and drive fine I have the pan off and it looks great inside, only a very fine layer of clutch material on the bottom of the pan, not even visible until i wiped it with a cloth.
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
RTLee
1995 ZJ 

That was the exact same symptoms. I'd pull the shifter and wait a few seconds for D or R to engage. Thinking "WTH! Just had this rebuilt!" The turns guy said it was pretty minor and only a simple adjustment to the bands. Sure enough, no issues since the adjustment was made.
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
bob_351c
2002 TJ Wrangler 

did yours do it all the time or just the first take off of the morning?
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #10
RTLee
1995 ZJ 

Just on takeoff in the morning. Didn't do it right after the rebuild, but eventually showed and got worse until the adjustment was made.
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

It could be a cracked case. I had similar issues in my old jeep after having the transmission rebuilt. When its cold the transmission is losing pressure through a small crack. When it heated up, the case expanded enough to seal the tiny crack and it was able to build pressure again. I dunno if its your problem but I had VERY similar issues and a new case is what it took to fix it.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
RTLee
1995 ZJ 

My case wasn't cracked, the bands were out of adjustment.

Cracked case should be obvious with a leak...
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #13
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Well dont I look foolish. I guess thats what happens when you scan a thread too leisurely. Mine wasnt leaking when I was having issues.

Build thread^^
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
bob_351c
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
Well dont I look foolish. I guess thats what happens when you scan a thread too leisurely. Mine wasnt leaking when I was having issues.
mine leaks but im pretty sure its from the neutral safety switch. Another thing i noticed is that ive had the pan off for hours and its still dripping, quite a bit. could this indicate a drain back issue? I would love that to be the problem but it still pauses in engagement after reversing and changing to drive. the reversing should have filled the torque converter, correct?
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #15
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_351c View Post
mine leaks but im pretty sure its from the neutral safety switch. Another thing i noticed is that ive had the pan off for hours and its still dripping, quite a bit. could this indicate a drain back issue? I would love that to be the problem but it still pauses in engagement after reversing and changing to drive. the reversing should have filled the torque converter, correct?
Oh boy.. Im not too much of a transmission guy. I just had some similar problems relating to the previous posts so I chimed in. Im not the best source on this one chief. Good luck though

Build thread^^

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.