97 42re into a early 95 and transfer case question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 97 42re into a early 95 and transfer case question

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 01-28-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
BigEag205
2000 WJ 

97 42re into a early 95 and transfer case question

I found a 42RE out of a 97 4wd jeep locally I'm going to try and get ahold of. I could've swore I had a thread about this already but couldn't find the info I was looking for so I'm starting a new thread for my records. It's just the trans, not the transfer case.

My questions are:
1) what all do I need to change in order for the 42re out of the 97 to work in my early production date 95 zj?
2) since the trans blew, I believe I have to take it to a shop and have the radiator flushed correct? What else needs done if anything?
3) will i be able to use my old transfer case (hoping theres some sort of filter to keep the bad flakey oil from going to the transfer case)? Does it need "flushed" or anything or is it good to go once bolted up to the trans?

Thanks in advance!

BigEag205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #2
Rikoshay
1998 ZJ 

Transfer case has a seal between it and the transmission. Fluid is not supposed to mix between the two units. On GM trucks we would get reports of dealers installing a 5 speed only to have it come back several thousand miles later making noise (like the first one) and then find out that the tranny had pumped it's oil back into the transfer case and burning itself up.

Tranny coolers located in the radiator make great filters, trapping metal shavings etc. and they don't always get cleared by backflushing/flushing. A good rule of thumb is to disconnect the return line at the transmission and start the engine (obviously you will need a bucket to catch the fluid). Run engine for 30 seconds and you should have approx. 1 quart of fluid.

Radiators are so cheaply priced these days that it's almost obsurd to have any "radiator work" done. Kind of like CV shafts 20 years ago used to be fairly expensive and now they are practically giving them away.
Rikoshay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
BigEag205
2000 WJ 

ok, now that I think about it I remember having to change the transfer case fluid in my WJ seperate from the trans fluid so that makes since that on the ZJ 42re (essentially the same trans) is wouldn't circulate. Thanks for that tid-bit.

Anybody know which parts I need to use in order for it to fit the 93-95 Grand? I think I have to use the 93-95 torque converter and I believe do 1 or 2 more things if I'm not mistaken.
Unread 01-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
BigEag205
2000 WJ 

The guy left the trans fluid in the converter and trans as much as possible on the removal because he'd heard to not change it on a trans you dont know if it'd been changed in before or not and I've heard the 42re's are real finicky about that.

Problem is, I believe I have to use my early 95 flex plate and purchase a new early 95 torque converter to match up. Can anybody chime in and confirm that's all I have to do? It's been a minute since I've changed one but I believe all the electronics and everything else are the same. 99+ is where you run into connection problems and all that.
Unread 01-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
BigEag205
2000 WJ 

AHAAA! FOUND THE THREAD I WAS LOOKING FOR!

I knew I had it somewhere...didn't notice I had to click the "next page" button looking at my threads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.